LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Intake Air Temp Sensor, 95z28

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2011, 09:06 AM

Intake Air Temp Sensor, 95z28

Gents,
Removed an older NOS kit from my 95Z. In the process I purchased a used intake. It is slightly different from the one that was on there with the NOS hooked up. Apparently, the previous owner disconnected the Intake Air Temp sensor and hooked the NOS injectors into that same spot by enlarging the hole for it (see pic--old one on the left, new one on the right). I didn't even realize that there was supposed to be something else there until my new intake showed up.

Question: I'm looking for the clip now that is suposed to hook up to the IAT. I have the new setup on there now and started the car, let it run for 5 minutes or so and did not notice any difference in idle up to 2-3k RPM (I did not drive it). If I cannot find the IAT connection (say he cut it), will this affect anything else? The NOS kit has been on there for over a year since I've had it and the car ran great. It still runs fine. I just hate having things disconnected or visibly missing, but if it has been clipped, should I just silicone the IAT connector and call it a day or should I find the wiring and bother getting the clip to connect it back up? I'm more worried that it will cause erformance issues at some point.

Also, notice the long tubular piece coming down on the new intake and the shorter one on the old intake? What gives? All the numbering on the underside of both are exactly the same. The shorter one does not appear to be fabricated (looks original). The new intake supposedly came off a 95z just like mine.

Thanks fellas, and thanks again shoebox for helping me figure out what part I was even talking about.

Old 08-06-2011, 11:50 AM
Administrator

Re: Intake Air Temp Sensor, 95z28

The dangling tube is a "silencer". Appears the owner of the "old" intake remove the silencer tube, pushed a plug of some sort into the hole, and used a hose clamp to hold it.

You need an IAT sensor. If it's not hooked up, you should have a code and an SES light (check to make sure the SES light is working - comes on for a few seconds at startup).

The PCM appears to alter ignition timing based on IAT temps. If your MAF fails, the PCM will default to speed-density, and for speed-density to work correctly it has to have the IAT reading.

Maybe he left the sensor attached to the harness and its tucked away somewhere, in which case there would not be a code for the missing sensor.

Harness, from Shoebox:

http://shbox.com/1/harness.htm

Maybe that will help you find the wire/connector.
Old 08-06-2011, 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by Injuneer
The dangling tube is a "silencer". Appears the owner of the "old" intake remove the silencer tube, pushed a plug of some sort into the hole, and used a hose clamp to hold it.

You need an IAT sensor. If it's not hooked up, you should have a code and an SES light (check to make sure the SES light is working - comes on for a few seconds at startup).

The PCM appears to alter ignition timing based on IAT temps. If your MAF fails, the PCM will default to speed-density, and for speed-density to work correctly it has to have the IAT reading.

Maybe he left the sensor attached to the harness and its tucked away somewhere, in which case there would not be a code for the missing sensor.

Harness, from Shoebox:

http://shbox.com/1/harness.htm

Maybe that will help you find the wire/connector.
Injuneer,
Thanks for the response. My SES light does appear briefly after startup, but does not stay on. I don't know if I have a code for it...I'll have to find that out.
I was out looking for the sensor earlier and I cannot find it. I ran the length of the harness and checked all of the sensors and connections and it does not appear to be there. Now that I have the diagram, I'll look again since that will help me pinpoint exactly where it should come out of he harness.

And if I read your response correctly, it will only alter engine perfrmance if the MAF fails.

Also, what does the 'silencer' silence? I didn't notice any change in sound up front after changing over the intakes...

Thanks.
Old 08-06-2011, 01:43 PM

The silencer lowers intake noise.
Old 08-06-2011, 03:35 PM

he might have stuffed a resistor in the connector and tucked it into the harness. that would trick the pcm to think its always getting cool air and not kick off the light. I guess its a possibility its hidden in the harness somewhere.
Old 08-07-2011, 08:55 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Gringpo
Injuneer,

And if I read your response correctly, it will only alter engine perfrmance if the MAF fails.
Not what I said:

The PCM appears to alter ignition timing based on IAT temps.
That applies to any time the engine is operating.