LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Intake bolt threads stripped with tq wrench...now what?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2006, 04:50 PM

Intake bolt threads stripped with tq wrench...now what?

Well, last night when putting on my intake, the second bolt back from the front on the passengers side of the intake stripped. I had the holes cleaned and the bolts were clean also. I was using a torque wrench set at 35 ft lbs like the haynes said. I've got the bolt out but now what do I do? Do I need to install a helicoil or what? I'm sure the threads are gone so a chase wouldn't work right?

Also I know this sounds bad, but the car isn't my daily driver. I was wondering if these stripped threads on one bolt would surely cause an intake gasket leak? If not I might wait a couple of months until I can drive it home where I can get some expert help with the helicoil idea, and just install the bolt which threads in, it just won't tighten up and then putting a LITTLE bit of locktite on it to keep it in. I don't know how much pressure is in the lifter valley when the motor is running but, would that pressure blow it out? Is this a dumb idea or should I try my first helicoil? Any opinions on this would be great!
Old 03-09-2006, 04:57 PM

Re: Intake bolt threads stripped with tq wrench...now what?

I think it would definitely leak if it's not tight. Did you tighten the bolts in the proper sequence?

I would remove the head, chase the threads, and try again. If it still won't tighten down, you'll need to drill it out, tap it, and install a heli-coil.

Thomas.
Old 03-09-2006, 05:02 PM

how far a drive is home? i would not think it would hurt anything as long as the other are tight. my .02. once you get home, heli coil it.
Old 03-09-2006, 05:06 PM

if it's not a long drive just tighten the rest up, drive it back and fix it there.
Old 03-09-2006, 07:00 PM

Yep, I followed the right sequence. I did everything right as far as I know. I wouldn't think that it will leak too bad, if at all with that one bolt loose. ( maybe that's just me wishful thinking ) I only have a few hours to drive in order to get it to where I can get it done with the confidence that I won't ruin the head. I was thinking...even if it did cause a slight gasket leak, what's the worst that it would do to that cylinder? Foul a plug or what? I just don't want to ruin the head trying to do the helicoil myself. Will that bolt have any excess pressure trying to force it out while the engine is running? I'm pretty sure that the bolt hole opens up into the lifter valley. Thanks again for the help!