LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

intake manifold question

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2007, 04:02 AM

intake manifold question

How hard is is to replace the intake manifold gasket???? How long does it usualy take to do so??
Old 02-12-2007, 05:17 AM
01Z

It's kind of a job. I think it took me a few hours to get it off and a little less putting it back on. There are some links to show step by step. That's how I did mine anyway.

You don't just replace the gaskets, there's a section where RTV must go. That is also the place the leak occurs. Mine was on the passenger side right where the egr aspirator tube goes to and from the exhaust.
Old 02-12-2007, 07:01 AM

It's not bad, but if its your first time it can be an intimidating job. The most important thing is getting the surfaces super clean and getting the RTV bead on there thick enough but not too thick.

Just pull the alternator, throttle body, then all the hoses/lines on the intake...remove intake bolts...etc.

Is much easier too after EGR delete and throttle body coolant bypass.
Old 02-12-2007, 09:30 AM

where can i get step by step instructions, and yea i bought some copper permatex im gonna use. thanks
Old 02-12-2007, 10:56 AM

Shoebox outlines the intake manifold removal procedure on his site: http://shbox.com/ci/cam_removal.html
Old 02-12-2007, 10:58 AM

Its simple as pie, you don't even need to drain coolent form the block, much easier then a Gen1 SBC
Old 02-12-2007, 11:30 AM

much easier then a Gen1 SBC
well that's a first... lol
Old 02-13-2007, 06:30 AM

So i do NOT need to drain the coolent?? any other tips, or hints would be great anything at all cause im gonna do this , this coming up sunday. I appreciate the link and all the feedback.
Old 02-13-2007, 06:50 AM

Originally Posted by hot936spd
So i do NOT need to drain the coolent?? any other tips, or hints would be great anything at all cause im gonna do this , this coming up sunday. I appreciate the link and all the feedback.
There will be coolant in the throttle body if you have not done the throttle body bypass.
Old 02-13-2007, 07:20 AM

Originally Posted by shoebox
There will be coolant in the throttle body if you have not done the throttle body bypass.
... and to further add it is by no means necessary to have to bleed the coolant system by taking the TB off. coolant flows from the heads via steam pipe, through the TB and into the radiator.
Old 02-14-2007, 09:09 AM
BTC

Location: Lansing, MI via Bowling Green, KY: Dalton, GA: Nashville, TN & Atlanta, GA
I don't have my car or my service manuals in front of me, but is it possible to remove the intake manifold without removing the fuel delivery system? Can you just detach the fuel lines, and anything else that might be necessary, unbolt the manifold and pull it off with the fuel rails and injectors still attached?

Also, is there a particular type of RTV fluid that should be used when replacing the manifold?

Sorry if all of this is outlined in the service manuals, but it's a slow day at work and I'm bored & curious.
Old 02-14-2007, 09:24 AM

if you remove the fuel rail bolts and pull the injectors out of the manifold, you can set the entire assembly out of the way. this will also allow easier access to the manifold bolts (and you don't have to disconnect the fuel lines).

For the rear and front RTV seals, I've always (and others) used The Right Stuff. It sets up fast and works terrific.
Old 02-14-2007, 11:04 PM

Originally Posted by BTC
I don't have my car or my service manuals in front of me, but is it possible to remove the intake manifold without removing the fuel delivery system? Can you just detach the fuel lines, and anything else that might be necessary, unbolt the manifold and pull it off with the fuel rails and injectors still attached?

Also, is there a particular type of RTV fluid that should be used when replacing the manifold?

Sorry if all of this is outlined in the service manuals, but it's a slow day at work and I'm bored & curious.
It's very simple to detatch the fuel lines from the rail. Just go to any parts store and get a AC/fuel line disconnect tool. They come in a set and are about $10. You only need one size for both fuel lines. That way you can completely get the fuel rail out of the way which is nice when you're placing the intake back on the block as straight as possible.
Old 02-15-2007, 07:03 AM

Originally Posted by SS RRR
It's very simple to detatch the fuel lines from the rail. Just go to any parts store and get a AC/fuel line disconnect tool. They come in a set and are about $10. You only need one size for both fuel lines. That way you can completely get the fuel rail out of the way which is nice when you're placing the intake back on the block as straight as possible.
You only need one size? The fuel supply line is 3/8" and the return line is 5/16".
Old 02-15-2007, 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by shoebox
You only need one size? The fuel supply line is 3/8" and the return line is 5/16".
Unless the '96 is different I've always used one size.

Quick Reply: intake manifold question