LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

intalling an lt1 in a street rod what can I eliminate

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2007, 12:24 PM

Cool intalling an lt1 in a street rod what can I eliminate

on my first post I asked about putting a carb on my LT1 to install in my street rod for the sake a ease, but all the info I received leaned towards keepin it FI. So I am. My question is what can I eliminate off of the motor to clean it up (Emmisions pump) can I just plug off the lines. There is a metal line from exh manifold to back of intake Maniflod, and what appears to be colant line going into the intake manifold can I safely eliminate these.
I appreacite all the help so far. I also am a harley davidson mechanic and have been for many years so if you have any questions this is my expertise and would be glad to help out.
Old 02-05-2007, 12:47 PM

you can eliminate all emission components, a/c , power steering and the like. YOu can go so far as to eliminate the fuel injection and switch to a carb set up. It depends on what you want to keep that defines what you can get rid of.
Old 02-05-2007, 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by 46chopped
on my first post I asked about putting a carb on my LT1 to install in my street rod for the sake a ease, but all the info I received leaned towards keepin it FI. So I am. My question is what can I eliminate off of the motor to clean it up (Emmisions pump) can I just plug off the lines. There is a metal line from exh manifold to back of intake Maniflod, and what appears to be colant line going into the intake manifold can I safely eliminate these.
I appreacite all the help so far. I also am a harley davidson mechanic and have been for many years so if you have any questions this is my expertise and would be glad to help out.
You can eliminate the emisisons pump, and you can just plug it at the manifolds, a 1/2 pipe cap works ok but I forgot the correct size.
The metal line your talking about if the egr, you can get rid of that but you either have to buy or fab up some block off plates for the hole it leaves in the manifold (took me 20 min to make mine)
The coolant line going to the throttle body you can get rid of... search for tb coolant bypass and you'll find out what you need to do.
If you want to get rid of the a/c they make a $45 dollar bracket to do that.
Tpis.com and some other companys make a new harness for putting lt1's in rods.
Anyother questions?

Last edited by SevenStars; 02-05-2007 at 01:32 PM.
Old 02-05-2007, 02:19 PM

That's awsome I want to get this motor right down to the bare bones - just keep the FI and loose everything else - One more question can i loop the heater core lines off of the water pump to eliminate that as well.
Old 02-05-2007, 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by 46chopped
That's awsome I want to get this motor right down to the bare bones - just keep the FI and loose everything else - One more question can i loop the heater core lines off of the water pump to eliminate that as well.
Yes, I did that to my 94z and no problems. Another thing you can do is remove the factory oil cooler and loop that too. Im not sure but you may have to buy a different adapter as I havent done that yet.