LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

internal balancing question

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2012, 07:25 PM

internal balancing question

this does not pertain to an lt1, but i thought this was the best place for the thread.

im planning on building a 383 for my s10 pick up, and it will be a newer 1 piece rms block. im wanting to use the t56 out of my 95 firebird.

i know all 1 peice rms blocks are internal balance at the front, and external at the rear using the flywheel or flexplate to balance.

my question is, can i just use my stock flywheel from the lt1 on my new motor?

or can i have the whole motor internally balanced, and have the stock lt1 flywheel "zero" balanced.

the motor wont be anything crazy, so im thinking of using a scat 9000 crank. summit lists one with a 1 piece rms that they also say is internally balance. so i could zero balance everything, and use everything from the firebird, as in the fly, clutch, bell, trans, and hydrulics? will the pilot hole in the crank be the correct size? sorry for all the questions, thanks guys!
Old 10-07-2012, 11:51 PM

Re: internal balancing question

Originally Posted by chevyrules85
this does not pertain to an lt1, but i thought this was the best place for the thread.

im planning on building a 383 for my s10 pick up, and it will be a newer 1 piece rms block. im wanting to use the t56 out of my 95 firebird.

i know all 1 peice rms blocks are internal balance at the front, and external at the rear using the flywheel or flexplate to balance.

my question is, can i just use my stock flywheel from the lt1 on my new motor?

or can i have the whole motor internally balanced, and have the stock lt1 flywheel "zero" balanced.

the motor wont be anything crazy, so im thinking of using a scat 9000 crank. summit lists one with a 1 piece rms that they also say is internally balance. so i could zero balance everything, and use everything from the firebird, as in the fly, clutch, bell, trans, and hydrulics? will the pilot hole in the crank be the correct size? sorry for all the questions, thanks guys!
Yes, you can use the stock flywheel - have it resurfaced and spun up with the rotating assembly.

Yes, you could also have it all internally balanced, that would require milling off the cast weight on the back of the flywheel and then adding mallory metal to the rear counterweight on the crank, that means extra $$$

Either way, those Scat 9000 cranks are with your average LT1 bobweight will require either a slug of mallory in the front along with a neutral damper, or a 400 damper with a couple of large drill holes. I always put in the mallory because drilling too many large holes in the counterweights can lead to 4th order harmonics which can harm bearings and even lead to crank breakage.