LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Invisible Leak?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2013, 06:07 PM
Banned

Invisible Leak?

So I posted earlier about my water pump leaking out of the weep hole extremely bad.
So today I went ahead and put in a new pump, and yes I did everything right. Sealed both sides of all gaskets with non hardening permatex sealant.
After letting the gaskets set for an hour or so, I have everything back together and start the car.
I bleed the system for a few mjnutes, then out the cap on the radiator and let it idle.
About a minute later I start to see coolant quickly dripping from the steering rack.
Now I've looked under there with a drop light and the car on ramps and for the life of me I can't figure out where it is leaking from.
And the thing is, after I turn it off and on and move the car, its stops leaking or slows down significantly.
But I am at work now and had to drive the car, and once I got to work I checked underneath while idling and it was a slow drip from the same location.
After the car was shut off for about an hour I came back and checked underneath and there is about a 1 foot wide circle of fluid that leaked out..

Please anyone with any idea of what this could be please tell me.
I looked all around the water pump and it doesn't appear to be leaking at all.

Thanks
Old 08-13-2013, 06:32 PM

Re: Invisible Leak?

Pressurize the cooling system and see if you can see the leak.
Old 08-13-2013, 07:17 PM

sometimes wrapping paper towels around a hose can help locate as well. Having pressure in system with parts cool can help you reach and feel more places. I would be suspect of a hose and beware because if it is and lets go while driving and under pressure may take your opti. Pressurising system after drying everything and then finding wetspots is pretty much what I would do. They also haace dye you could put in system and help find leak too.

Posted from Camaroz28.com App for Android
Old 08-13-2013, 08:47 PM

Do you have your throttle body bypassed? I had a sneaky little leak once from the gasket on the bottom of the throttle body.
Old 08-13-2013, 10:25 PM

It would have been better if you have just added this to the other thread, rather than start another. In the other thread I suggested you pressure test the system and check for leaks, but you decided just to replace the pump. I guess the leak is coming from another location. This is why you pressure test.
Old 08-13-2013, 11:20 PM
Banned

I'm not stupid. I wouldn't spend the money on a pump if I wasn't sure it was bad. I had the car jacked up and had it idling and I could see water spewing from the weep hole.

What else would you conclude about that?

And I also ran it 2 or 3 times and it leaked from the weep hole everytime.

And an Update...

After the car sat for 6 hours while I was at work, I added water and bled the system.
And it didn't leak a drop!

However when I get home and crawl underneath it, it is leaking very slowly at idle. Like a drop every 2 or 3 seconds.

Is it possible that maybe the gaskets werent fully cured or something?
Old 08-14-2013, 09:34 AM
Administrator

Let's not let this thread deteriorate, or it will be closed. No one called you "stupid". In your other thread, which you chose for some reason not to continue (not a good idea), you asked for advice, Rob gave you some, and you ignored it (also not a good idea).
Old 08-14-2013, 09:56 AM
Banned

I posted a new thread because it was a different issue.

And I didn't ignore him, I changed the pump because it was bad, and the gaskets were shot after taking it out.

Telling someone what they did was a "bad idea" is a nice way of calling them stupid.

Or more or less saying, "I told you so"

I like most people come here for advice and assistance and when I can help someone out I do so nicely, not by sarcastic remarks.
Old 08-14-2013, 11:25 AM
Banned

For all of those who were telling me to pressure test, well I did today..

Here are some pictures...

http://i1149.photobucket.com/albums/...k/IMAG0052.jpg

http://i1149.photobucket.com/albums/...k/IMAG0053.jpg

http://i1149.photobucket.com/albums/...k/IMAG0054.jpg

We are leak free!

However when the car warms up it still drips from the steering rack.

Now I know I may have angered a few of you, but I apologize. I'm sure you all know what it is like to be very frustrated when it comes to working on something for hours and it still not being right, especially when this is my only vehicle.

Now my dad mentioned something called Freeze Plugs? He said they go into the side of the block and if they break they can leak coolant?

I also followed the throttle body bypass line all the way to the back of the block and it too was leak free.

Please if anyone has any advice, I would truly appreciate it.
Old 08-14-2013, 01:37 PM

Check all your hose clamps. I've had old hoses leak when I put them on new parts. Usually tightening the clamps, after the engine has been hot, fixes it. Did you put sealant on the water pump bolts.

Freeze plugs are large soft plugs hammered into holes in the side of the block. I doubt that is your problem, but you should be able to see if they are leaking if you look from under the car.
Old 08-14-2013, 02:31 PM

I chased a leak for about six weeks a few years ago. I even bought a pressure tester and couldn't find it. Tried dye and couldn't fine it. No leak until after the engine was hot, and only then after the engine was shut off. It was only a small spot on the passenger side of the car, but every three or four days I'd have to add a bit of coolant. Finally, one hot summer day, I went to get my allergy shots. After I got my shots, took about 15 minutes counting wait time, I went back to my car, and there was a much larger water spot under the car, and steam was coming out from under the hood. I raised the hood and this time I could see the leak. It had a crack in the radiator on the passenger side. I theorized the crack would only open when the system was hot, and close as it cooled down. I also think the crack was progressively getting longer and finally reached the point where it was to long to close. So you might start looking at the radiator very closely.
Old 08-14-2013, 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by boomtufo
I'm not stupid. I wouldn't spend the money on a pump if I wasn't sure it was bad. I had the car jacked up and had it idling and I could see water spewing from the weep hole.

What else would you conclude about that?

And I also ran it 2 or 3 times and it leaked from the weep hole everytime.
You did not provide this information previously. Perhaps you should have. You can't blame someone for making a suggestion or remark that you don't like, because you did not tell all of the story. All you said was you replaced the pump.

Originally Posted by boomtufo
And an Update...

After the car sat for 6 hours while I was at work, I added water and bled the system.
And it didn't leak a drop!

However when I get home and crawl underneath it, it is leaking very slowly at idle. Like a drop every 2 or 3 seconds.

Is it possible that maybe the gaskets werent fully cured or something?
Did you use thread sealant on all of the bolts? Or maybe that was included in "I did everything right"? IDK.

Since the pressure test does not seem to force your leak issue to surface, I suppose you will have to resort to checking it out when it is hot and under running pressure.

BTW, I don't see anything sarcastic in my previous post.
Old 08-14-2013, 05:29 PM
Administrator

Seems like arguing is more important than getting help... so this thread will be closed.