LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

It's over

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2003, 11:01 PM

Originally posted by shoebox
If you are going to swap your V6 for an LT1, you are in for a lot of work-especially hard if you are not quite proficient in working on cars.

There has been more than one person that had their engine full of water that pumped all the water out of the cylinders, changed the oil, dried it out and fired it back up. What have you got to lose?
Not only do I totally agree with this but SHoe is one of the most knowledgable ***** out there. Conversion to an LT1 will take CRAZY work. What do you have to loose. Try drainin it and cahnging the oil before anything else.
Old 10-11-2003, 11:49 PM

I agree with Rob...I don't see how the thing could suck up enough water to cause major damage. I don't understand why the crank could be tore up. Water might have sat in the cylinders long enough to rust and pit the cylinder walls....then you'd have major compression probs if you did get it restarted. How long did it sit up before the plugs were pulled and the water removed? I killed the motor in my jet ski b/c I didn't realize the cylinders had filled up with water =\
Old 10-12-2003, 12:03 AM

Well I guess from the time that it all happened to when the plugs were removed and water drained, there was a gap of about 15-16 hours.

My mechanic said that he removed all the plugs and cleaned everything out and lots of water was pouring out. I haven't gone to the mechanic to see it myself cuz I was pretty busy today. If he's there tomorrow I'll go look and see exactly what he's talking about.
Old 10-12-2003, 12:20 AM

One other reason I suggested trying to get all the water out and fire it up is because you said that the engine would still turn over ok. That would seem to mean that you did not bend any rods or have severe internal damage. Who knows, you still may have a chance. Sometimes mechanics like to predict outcomes that make them the most money.
Old 10-30-2003, 02:57 AM

Cool

First off, why does your mechanic say you need a crank. Is it broken. The only other thing that could happen to it would be it twisting and you would bend rods way before that happened.

I would ask him to throw the plugs back in and fire it up. If he says you need a new engine you've got nothing to loose any way. When the engine died, did it die very suddely (instantly), or did it sputter and die. If it sputtered and died, you may be OK.

Good luck
Old 10-30-2003, 01:21 PM

What happened after?

As most other people said, heed shoebox's advice.

Any updates on the situation?