LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Just bought a 95 Trans Am Convertible

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2003, 11:00 PM

Cool Just bought a 95 Trans Am Convertible

Hello,
I recently bought a 95 Trans Am convertible. Right now i am just looking to see what types of things i should look out for or be sure not to do. It is a 95' Trans Am Convertible with the Automatic Transmission with the performance shift button.

Also i was just curious about some upgrades that i could do to the car that would let the awesome V8 breathe and sound awesome. Right now i dont have much money to play around with untill i get a job (im only 17) but i dont want to do too much to the engine that would ruin the engine.

Before i bought the Trans Am i had a Porsche 944 turbo, that i stupidly dumped $5000 into to make it 'fast'. That was the stupidest thing i could of done. Sure it was the fastest car in my town, but it just wasnt worth the work i had to put into it.

Anyway I look forward to reading and posting posts on this forum, and thanks for letting me be apart of this forum.

Justin
Old 09-08-2003, 11:24 PM

Drive it for a while and then decide where you think it needs improvement. There is more to improve on these cars than just power. Especially on convertibles.
Old 09-09-2003, 12:59 AM

Welcome to the board. If you want quick performance and sound for cheap get a cutout. There only $35. Most mods wont hurt your engine unless you go Boost or NOS. NOS is not as bad as boost for some reason.
Now be prepared to be up all night learing new things. This board is awesome and can teach you anything you need to know about you car.
Old 09-09-2003, 01:36 AM

Welcome, these are great cars and the verts are hella fun to drive. There are a few small things you can do, like a nice cold air induction, some people buy them, others like me made my own, since its much cheaper, you could look up free mods in the search engine, as there are a couple you can do, like get rid of the long donky snout coming out of the air elbow, its purpose is to silence air, but in the process creates turbulance. I wouldn't expect any performance, but you can hear the engine roar better without it, plus it cleans up the engine bay a bit. I used the bottom of an old Rain-X bottle to stick in the hole after removing it, it fits perfect and does not obstruct flow. Some people remove the MAF screens, its really a toss up if it helps, some say yes others say no, the Throttle Body Bypass, keeps the coolant from warming up throttle body, and has a claimed 5-7 horse increase, and is free. THe only thing bad about the vert is you are required to use a 5 point rollbar for 13.99 and quicker at NHRA and 13.5 at IHRA, so that comes awefully quick, plus the weight of the vert is about 200 pounds more so it needs a little more grunt to get it moving, but I assure you it doesn't take much even though they are heavy pigs. With basic bolt-on mods and good traction you can have low 13's high 12's Did I mention everybody loves verts, I get compliments everywhere
Old 09-09-2003, 01:48 AM

Welcome to the board, and to the great world of the F-Body. You will find that you can get an answer to almost any question here. If you ever need an help or just wanna talk, feel free to email me.

Most people will start with a cai (Cold Air Induction) or a cat-back system. Cutouts sound great, but attract cops like donoughts ,and it just goes from there. Headers, gears, etc. If it matters at all my first mods were a Flowmaster muffler and 3.73s.

Last edited by Got-LT1; 09-09-2003 at 01:50 AM.
Old 09-09-2003, 06:27 PM

Originally posted by D James
Welcome, these are great cars and the verts are hella fun to drive. There are a few small things you can do, like a nice cold air induction, some people buy them, others like me made my own, since its much cheaper, you could look up free mods in the search engine, as there are a couple you can do, like get rid of the long donky snout coming out of the air elbow, its purpose is to silence air, but in the process creates turbulance. I wouldn't expect any performance, but you can hear the engine roar better without it, plus it cleans up the engine bay a bit. I used the bottom of an old Rain-X bottle to stick in the hole after removing it, it fits perfect and does not obstruct flow. Some people remove the MAF screens, its really a toss up if it helps, some say yes others say no, the Throttle Body Bypass, keeps the coolant from warming up throttle body, and has a claimed 5-7 horse increase, and is free. THe only thing bad about the vert is you are required to use a 5 point rollbar for 13.99 and quicker at NHRA and 13.5 at IHRA, so that comes awefully quick, plus the weight of the vert is about 200 pounds more so it needs a little more grunt to get it moving, but I assure you it doesn't take much even though they are heavy pigs. With basic bolt-on mods and good traction you can have low 13's high 12's Did I mention everybody loves verts, I get compliments everywhere

The solution for the track problem is go IHRA.

Another thing, when checking the weight difference between vert, and coupe, it only comes to 80 some pounds. Where did you find 200 lbs from? J/w