LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Just brought home my Z28!!!.. heres my story

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2004, 08:38 AM

Just brought home my Z28!!!.. heres my story

Ok guys, the deal is final, i finally, after months of waiting, trying to sell my moms car, working overtime i finally bought the Z28!!! All i can say is wow, its such an upgrade from my 94 non-turbo 3000GT. But the day didnt go off without a hitch. First off, as soon as i drove it off the lot and about a mile down the rode, it ran out of gas in the middle of a busy intersection, apparently these cars arent like 3000GT's, in which you can drive around for a day or two with the gas light on, and it still runs fine. The needle was right at the E and i noticed and said ill just wait till the light comes on, BOOM right in the middle of the street it sputtered and shut off, i with the help of a few others, pushed it into a gas station which was right there about 100 feet away. SO, i took it home and it was all fine, everything was working perfect, i parked it at my house and starting checking all the fluids. Everything looked fine to except for when i checked the engine coolant, it looked good, neon green and all, but on the dipstick there was this clumpy brown stuff that came right off, i took a flashlight and looked down the tube and it all looked good to me, there was no more. I was a bit worried could this be oil, let me know, but im extremely happy with the car, its a 94 Z28!!
Old 03-18-2004, 08:54 AM

hey glad to hear you got a Z. there's no gas light in these cars, not on the LT1s anyway. you're lucky you didnt kill your fuel pump, try not to let it go below 1/4 tank, as the fuel pump uses the gas to keep it cool. when my gas guages gets to E, it mean you're almost sucking on fumes. have fun, be safe.]

oh yeah...the brown stuff, might just be sludge in your cooling system, which should be flushed out soon as it might clog your heater core or something. if your oil turns milky then I'd worry.
Old 03-18-2004, 08:55 AM

Congrats on getting the Z...That brown stuff is just build up in the coolant area. Very typical on cars....If it bothers you that much, do a complete flush of the cooling system. You should be good man!
Old 03-18-2004, 10:50 AM

Yes no gas light, and they dont run good past E. Like most of other GM's i have had they run good past e lol. Good luck hang around. First mod get you a cold air kit.
Old 03-18-2004, 10:58 AM

I forget on what years this was, but the Check Gauges light will come on for low fuel. Not sure on which model either.
Old 03-18-2004, 11:10 AM

And now for the real question:

Where are the pics???

Congrats on the new car man

Greg
Old 03-18-2004, 11:31 AM
Banned

No fuel warning on my 94....but I don't let it get past 1/4. Once you're at 1/4, you're prettymuch empty.....what is weird is I could fill up my tank, and after driving 100 miles, the needle is still pushing past the "Full" mark on the gas gauge. The gas gauges in these cars suck!
Old 03-18-2004, 11:56 AM

Originally posted by Dan Oldham
No fuel warning on my 94....but I don't let it get past 1/4. Once you're at 1/4, you're prettymuch empty.....what is weird is I could fill up my tank, and after driving 100 miles, the needle is still pushing past the "Full" mark on the gas gauge. The gas gauges in these cars suck!
I always thought that was because the tank was kinda "V" shaped. So it stayed on full for almost half the miles you get out of a tank, then plummits after you get below a 1/2 tank. Never really got into checking this out with my own two eyes, just something I heard and it sounded reasonable. Maybe I'm nuts.
Old 03-18-2004, 12:29 PM

No, you're not nuts.... it's true. The f-body tank is trapizoid-shaped, becoming more narrow at the bottom. That's why the fuel gauge is not accurate. So, the rule of thumb is: When your needle indicates 3/4 full, you're really 1/2 full. I always just subtract 1/4 tank from what is indicated.

I remember my Stealth TT - what a great car that was, but what a PITA to keep fixing!

Greg
Old 03-18-2004, 01:17 PM

Also, don't get in the habit of running out of gas, since changing the fuel pumps is a real job in these cars[in tank]
Running out tends to burn the pump out..
Old 03-18-2004, 02:03 PM

First congrats on the Z28.

Since it's used, do a complete flush of your coolant. Charged fluid could accelerate corrosion on the internal parts the fluid flows through.

Also not sure, but do Z28 use the green or orange coolant? My 96 came with orange, and I still use the stuff.

As for gas level, fill it at 1/4 left....the stupid gage is decieving. On mine, I can get out 150 miles before it hits the midway mark..thinking cool, I'm getting great gas mileage...than it plummets to almost empty after another 50 miles.

Else you can zero out your trip and refill against a set mileage. You really don't want to go empty with the fuel injection.
Old 03-18-2004, 02:56 PM

That's something else I forgot to mention. Our cars came originally with orange antifreeze. If someone just poored in green to refill it the two of them react to each other. They make kinda like a sluge or something but it can be harmful to the cooling system and other parts as well. That might of happened with your car. Get the system flushed to clear out any chance of that. Once you refill you can use either green or orange, just not both.
Old 03-18-2004, 02:58 PM

94s came with the green stuff
Old 03-18-2004, 03:26 PM

Good luck with your Z. 94's did come with the green coolant.

NICK
Old 03-18-2004, 03:34 PM

Good rule of thumb on buying a used car; always change all your fluids as soon as possible. You never know when the last time it was done and it is always good preventative maint. Pull your battery out and pull out the overflow reservoir and clean that puppy out when you flush your system. Also, don't forget to bleed the air out of the system when you do.

Quick Reply: Just brought home my Z28!!!.. heres my story