LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Just got worse

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2004, 06:46 PM

Angry Just got worse

This morning I went out to warm the car up. And I let it idle for about 10 minutes. My fuel gauge was little bit above E. Then I revved it up a couple if times. It stalled and wouldn't start back up. I later put some gas in. It took it up to a quarter of a tank. It still won't start up. Could it be possible I didn't put enough gas in for it to reach the pickup? It's sitting on level ground. Or could there be air in my lines? If so is there a way to get rid of it? It's been missing for quite some time. I have had the following replaced

ECM.
Cap and Rotor. (Not entire optispark unit)
Plugs.
Wires.
Fuel Filter.
O2 Sensors.
PCV Valve.
Coil.
MAP Sensor.

The problem I was having was, it would run good cold, then warm up and miss like crazy. Another thing was the more throttle I would give it, the worse the miss became. People have told me that my Fuel pump may have went out. Or could it be possible that the rest of the Opti died? Or the ICM went bad?

Any help would be great.

Last edited by 1FstFormulaV8; 01-10-2004 at 01:00 AM.
Old 01-09-2004, 06:49 PM

Re: Just got worse

Originally posted by 1FstFormulaV8

Cap and Rotor. (Not entire optispark unit)

Any help would be great.
i'd hedge my bet on that. i really haven't heard to many good stories of just replacing the cap and rotor as opposed to the whole thing.
Old 01-09-2004, 06:50 PM

Re: Re: Just got worse

Originally posted by 93midnightta
i'd hedge my bet on that. i really haven't heard to many good stories of just replacing the cap and rotor as opposed to the whole thing.
Ditto.
Old 01-09-2004, 06:59 PM

give it some gas while turning the ignition?
Old 01-09-2004, 07:06 PM

It's the fuel pump.
Old 01-09-2004, 07:54 PM

Just keep teh door open and stick ur head out as u turn the key to on, not start, just on. See if u hear the fuel pump energize, try to do this trice or so to get gas back to the injectors, u could just have the air in the line like u said. If u hear nothin when u turn the key to on than ur fuel pump is ur first problem
Old 01-09-2004, 08:20 PM

it could be the pump. if it tries to run dry too long it can burn out.
Old 01-09-2004, 08:26 PM

definetly sounds like a fuel pump/dirty filter/TPS/MAP sensor/coolant temp sensor/major vacume leak to me, more gas = more stumle is hardly ever an opti problem.
Old 01-09-2004, 09:18 PM

My Dad did almost the same thing to my car. It was in his garage for the winter. He started it up to let it run for a bit. It stalled (ran out of gas) and it fried the fuel pump. Sorry man

My guess is da pump is bad
Old 01-09-2004, 09:44 PM

fuel pump only runs: a few seconds with key turned on to pressurize the system, and during engine cranking and running

the pump will turn off as soon as the engine stalls, dies

the pcm comands the fuel pump relay on, so if you ran it out of gas the pump will not keep running
Old 01-10-2004, 12:59 AM

I can hear the pump prime for a couple of seconds. It still doesn't start up. Is there a way to bleed the fuel lines? It has a new map sensor and a fuel filter.
Old 01-10-2004, 04:22 AM

Is there a way to bleed the fuel lines? It has a new map sensor and a fuel filter.
Try this... (will need a friend) connect a fuel pressure gage to your shraeder valve... route the Gage's relief line into a gasoline proof container... open the relief valve on your gage and then have your friend turn the ingition key to the ON position... just prior to cranking... that sould let some iar out and perhaps allow the pump to prime itself full of gas...

The other Idea I have is to find a way to connect a mighty vac pump to the fuel like that goes into your fuel filter... and pump away till you get gas there.. plug everything back in and see if she fires up.

Marvin
Old 01-10-2004, 09:07 AM

when my car is on a "1/4" tank, there is really only a gallon left, maybe gallon and a half. I never let it get lower than that. The guages in these cars are really screwed up, and are never consistent or accurate.

Oh yeah, i vote fuel pump too
Old 01-10-2004, 08:27 PM

I let the pump prime, turned the key to off then I depressed the Schrader valve and I seem to have plenty of fuel pressure. I'm still thinking Opti or ICM.
Old 01-11-2004, 05:13 PM

I took the coil wire off the opti and connected it to an extra spark plug I had, I didn't have any spark. I'm still thinking ICM? What's beyond that? I put 2 different coils in.

Quick Reply: Just got worse