LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Just wanted to make sure: Is it the injectors?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2004, 11:10 PM

Just wanted to make sure: Is it the injectors?

This is sort of a continuation from this thread. I just want to make sure this is in fact the symptoms of bad or dead injectors, so I'm just going to copy and paste the relevant parts from that other thread. :

All I know is that once I took my car out of storage this past spring it was running like crap. It was shaking very badly and felt like it was running on 4 cylinders. I had it fixed and it wound up being 3 dead injectors. The same thing is happening this time except it's not nearly as bad as before. When I got the others fixed the mechanic said that these 3 were absolutely dead, the others were on their way. So, I guess another one finally had enough.

I checked my air filter today and it's pretty dirty, I'm going to clean it off tomorrow during my lunch break, but I really don't think just the air filter would cause this type of reaction out of the car.

This was also very sudden. I started noticing it yesterday and I only really felt that something was wrong today after work.

Symptoms: The car basically feels like it doesn't want to go. At first I thought it was something tranny related simply because if I was in a higher RPM range then the car wouldn't hiccup so to speak. But, then after work today, the car seemed to be misfiring. The only reason I thought injectors was simply because this is what was happening last time the injectors were bad.

If the air filter cleaning doesn't help (I'm not counting on it either), is the car driveable about 25 miles to the mechanic's? Any suggestions you guys might have would be great. Thanks for the help as usual-DaK
Old 07-29-2004, 12:16 AM

Re: Just wanted to make sure: Is it the injectors?

Injectors don't just slowly die out, they'll start getting a bad spray pattern and maybe not being as effective. They're just a solenoid, and the general rule for solenoids is that they work or they don't.

Try swapping your own injectors if it turns out the be the case. You need a fuel line disconnect tool and the correct size socket for the fuel rail bolts, that's it.