LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

K&N cold air - cutting a whole worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2003, 04:06 PM

K&N cold air - cutting a whole worth it?

I just installed my new K&N cold on on my SS. Works great, I love it. And it cleans up my engine bay really well. (previously had the stock SS ram air box... old and cracked) So anyways.. I remember reading in a couple of different places that there is only something like 1.5 cubic feet of air in the fender wall. And that gets sucked up fairly quick. So would cutting a whole in the bottom of the fender be worth it at all? Thanks

Trevor
Old 09-21-2003, 04:41 PM

For the small amount of air you may intake it's not worth it. You're taking a risk of sucking water into your intake by cutting a hole in the splashguard.
Old 09-21-2003, 05:16 PM

Re: K&N cold air - cutting a whole worth it?

Originally posted by 1996 | Z28 SS
I just installed my new K&N cold on on my SS. Works great, I love it. And it cleans up my engine bay really well. (previously had the stock SS ram air box... old and cracked) So anyways.. I remember reading in a couple of different places that there is only something like 1.5 cubic feet of air in the fender wall. And that gets sucked up fairly quick. So would cutting a whole in the bottom of the fender be worth it at all? Thanks

Trevor
I have it on mine. I have a scoop to scoop some cool air up there. I havent had any problem driving in the rain. i bet it worth about 5 horse maybe?
Old 09-21-2003, 05:23 PM

I don't want to just cut out a whole. I meant I wanted to make a scoop. Only problem is the air deflector is in the way. And before I just go slicing and dicing everything. I just wanted to make sure of any pro and cons.

Trevor
Old 09-21-2003, 06:09 PM

I've done it to mine..........

I just chopped a hole in the black plastic under the filter and the front skirt.
I bought a sheet metal scoop, painted it black and placed it in with some screws.

The scoop gets damaged easily because its thin and rubs on large speed bumps and underground parkades.

No big deal really, it costs just over a dollar and is simple to replace.

As far as water getting in, just don't drive through rivers and such.
A mist from rain will not have a bad effect on anything.

This would be an example of too much water in the intake.
Old 09-21-2003, 08:58 PM

Originally posted by Pandamonkey
I've done it to mine..........

I just chopped a hole in the black plastic under the filter and the front skirt.
I bought a sheet metal scoop, painted it black and placed it in with some screws.

The scoop gets damaged easily because its thin and rubs on large speed bumps and underground parkades.

No big deal really, it costs just over a dollar and is simple to replace.

As far as water getting in, just don't drive through rivers and such.
A mist from rain will not have a bad effect on anything.

This would be an example of too much water in the intake.
I agree. I have done the same thing you have. If you dont drive thru bay's, oceans, rivers, i think you will be fine

BTW: Nice link lol
Old 09-21-2003, 09:08 PM

I've had mine done for about 2 years. We have a good many rains here in the south and i've had no problems with water. Its just an opening with a scoop. The scoop doesnt actually connect to the filter or anything so you dont have to worry about water. As for is it worth it, Yes. I gained .1 and almost 1mph with it. Thats well worth it if you ask me. Besides its really a cheap project. Alot of guys just cut a U shape in the plastic and bend it down a little. Works probably just as well.
Old 09-22-2003, 12:59 AM

I took both my splashguards off years ago.
Its not my daily driver anymore but you should be able to drive in the rain without any problems.
Do not drive through standing water, of course I would not do this even if the splashguards were on.
Old 09-22-2003, 10:12 AM

It's not worth the risk in my opinion. The amount of extra air pulled in may be minimal.

Take a good look at where the air is drawn from and you will see all sorts of air passages to the filter.

Do all of you guys realize that just cutting the air box may actually draw air OUT of the air box. Air rushing past an opening causes a vacuum at that point. Unless you cut an opening that is facing the airflow, you may be doing more harm than good.

Unless you do the ram air method, this mode could hurt you. If you do the ram-air method, watch out for rain.

It's not worth it at all in my opinion.

Dan
Old 09-22-2003, 03:05 PM

The RAM-air method will not get you tons more air, BUT it will get you colder air, and we all know that colder air is denser air and more air is more HP.
Old 09-22-2003, 04:07 PM

The amount of extra air pulled in may be minimal.
More air isnt the reason for doing the mod. The reason is to get way cooler air into your engine. With a scoop you get the outside cool air goin down the highway rather than the engine warmed air in the fender well. The engine only sucks so much air, you cant force more air unless you have a supercharger or some sort of forced induction.
Old 09-22-2003, 04:12 PM

Unless you do the ram air method, this mode could hurt you. If you do the ram-air method, watch out for rain.

The plastic were cutting isnt on the air box. Most of the people doing this mod have an aftermarket K&N CAI or some other brand. By no means will letting cool air to your filter gonna hurt your performance. Like I said above, I gained 1 tenth and 1 mph by putting this scoop and letting in much cooler air. Im not sure what it is but it was posted on this board somewhere. For every 10degree drop in air temperature your intake is taking in its like 3-5hp. More reason why I run .4 secs higher times in the summer rather than fall time. The temp outside makes a huge difference.
Old 09-22-2003, 05:47 PM

Originally posted by Robbie
The plastic were cutting isnt on the air box. Most of the people doing this mod have an aftermarket K&N CAI or some other brand.
I was aware of this. I have the K&N FIPK myself.

I'm not willing to take the risk of water damage. All it takes is one good puddle...

Dan
Old 09-22-2003, 06:07 PM

I don't get how a puddle can do anything at all. The ram air scoop is facing forward right behind the air damn. It would pass over the puddle, and then the first thing to hit the puddle is your left front tire. So then it splashis, no biggie seeing as the air scoop has already gone over the puddle, and is now facing forward therefore no opening to let the water in. The splash would have to move faster than the car to get ahead of the opening and then curve back in.

The only way I can see large amounts of water getting in, not mist, or a few rain drops.. thats no big deal.. but and actual wave of water into the fender, and then high enough to actual reach the filter itself, is if you dipped the entire front end of your car into a puddle. And honestly.. if the puddle is that big in the first place, who would drive throught it?

I think I'm gunna go ahead with this. I'm not putting a big honking scoop thats gunna stretch down to the ground. It's about 4.5 inches wide and 2.5 deep.

Trevor
Old 09-22-2003, 08:25 PM

That's cool. Maybe it will be fine. That's your risk. Like I said, it's not worth it to me for the possible chance of sucking up water, and the constant worry.

Dan

Quick Reply: K&N cold air - cutting a whole worth it?