LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

kyb-agx shocks come on in!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2003, 02:46 PM

kyb-agx shocks come on in!!!

I am considering the kyb agx shocks to replace my stock bilsteins on my 94 z and was wondering what were some of your thoughts on shock selection for street and strip usage. The QA1 shocks are just out of my price range.

How about other brands of shocks? Should i get some more bilsteins?
Old 03-04-2003, 02:49 PM

Try the autocrossing forum. They will know this kind of stuff better.
Old 03-04-2003, 03:28 PM

I've played around with mine a bit, it appears the adjustment only effects the compression not the rebound.
Old 03-04-2003, 04:15 PM

Bilsteins weren't stock on the Camaro. If you have Bilstein HDs leave them alone, they should last over 100k just fine, and are rebuildable if you want to bring them back to life if they are leaking or etc. Why downgrade?
Old 03-04-2003, 05:02 PM

the shocks are yellow and blue. are they not bilsteins? if not what are they i bought the ccar new so i know it has original shocks on the car.
Old 03-04-2003, 06:37 PM

Originally posted by billy-94z28
the shocks are yellow and blue. are they not bilsteins? if not what are they i bought the ccar new so i know it has original shocks on the car.
Mine are Black and dirty

Where there any suspension options??
Old 03-04-2003, 06:54 PM

How can this be, even 94 1LE cars had red and black Decarbons. Only thing yellow I can think of was in 96 when 1LE cars got Koni shocks.

Last edited by neil350; 03-04-2003 at 06:58 PM.
Old 03-04-2003, 08:45 PM

gentleman, pleae excuse my ignorance!!!

I went and looked under my car and the shocks are not yellow and blue as i first thought. But I do have a very large yellow sticker on the shocks. The shock body is orange looking.
The yellow sticker has decarbon on it I believe.

My car seems to ride much stiffer than when i first got it.
Could this be due to the fact i am presently riding on H tires instead of Z tires?
Old 03-04-2003, 11:47 PM

Someone may have put Bilsteins on there, but no way were they stock. I have Konis, which are yellow, but my sleeve is black not blue like I believe the Bilstein is.

KYB???? Not even in the same time zone as Bilstein. They are ok for a stock replacement shock company but I have not heard much good about them in the performance world. When I call asking for tech info about the AGX, and ALL they can tell me is "it has 5 positions!" then I decide it is quite obvious to move on. Nothing about rebound/compression rates, what kind of spring they can take, nothing.

For the money I just think its false economy, take a $200 set of shocks and for an extra $139 or so, lets put a **** on them, it just gives me that polish a turd feel.

I am not a suspension guru, and I'm a guru of nothing frankly, but I just dont like KYBs. I have Konis but mainly because I got a deal on them and I wanted adjustability for going to another spring later on, if I decided too. There are a couple good reasons to go to a custom valved Bilstein if you know your going to stick with the spring, a single tube shock will stay cooler and last longer, Bilsteins are great in my humble, jackass non-guru opinion

If you have Bilsteins now, they aren't going to get much better, unless maybe a rebuild gets some fresh life into them or you decide to go with another set of springs. The stock springs are way too soft for my tastes, I'm running a 600# front and I love it, except for that time or two when my back is acting up. I'm picky about suspension stuff and I just didn't get a good flavor from KYB for either durability or performance.

On the "other" car people often race on Tokicos, with a better name than KYB, and they still will only last a single season on a race car. Thier 5 way adjustable shock does both rebound and compression BTW, but I dont know about the AGX series. I just went for Koni doubles, but again Bilsteins would be a great choice if you are sure about your spring setup. If not, its not too much dough to get them valved again for a swap, if you swap often or want to play with the shock for different tracks though, well then the Koni would be nice.

I hope I dont sound like an ***, but my thinking is this. If your not doing track days or racing, you dont need an adjustable shock. If you need an adjustable shock, you dont need a cheap KYB.