LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Last Time, Header install question.

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2004, 03:57 PM

Last Time, Header install question.

Well AGAIN im going to go at this tomorrow (maybe tonight) since i get my car back today.

What i was wondering was

1. Do you think someone who doesn't have all that much experience can do this? I have quite a bit of know how but only a little hands on with a friend that is only going to help me slip the long tubes in.

2. What about removing the AIR system? I don't know that much of what it looks like but i've seen a few pictures. Will i notices it once i start taking this apart?

3. Will i need any extensions or swivels? If so how long?

4. I already have a magnaflow cat back and when i'm removing the y-pipe they said it might be heatwelding already to the catback. If so what can i use to cut the pipe of i dont have a electric saw?
Old 12-10-2004, 05:28 PM

Re: Last Time, Header install question.

From what i heard (im soon to be getting some and installing them myself) is that their not all that hard just time consuming. For tools i don't know what i'll need so im intrested in that also. I heard that y-pipe bolts may not want to come out and lots of people just break them out if they don't need that y-pipe or bolts for anything else. Also get pb blaster i heard it works great and spray down all the manifold bolts, and anything else u have to remove and let it soak over night.
Old 12-10-2004, 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by 97BBlackZ
Well AGAIN im going to go at this tomorrow (maybe tonight) since i get my car back today.

What i was wondering was

1. Do you think someone who doesn't have all that much experience can do this? I have quite a bit of know how but only a little hands on with a friend that is only going to help me slip the long tubes in.

2. What about removing the AIR system? I don't know that much of what it looks like but i've seen a few pictures. Will i notices it once i start taking this apart?

3. Will i need any extensions or swivels? If so how long?

4. I already have a magnaflow cat back and when i'm removing the y-pipe they said it might be heatwelding already to the catback. If so what can i use to cut the pipe of i dont have a electric saw?
1. Yes you can do it. I did mine myself, it's time consuming and be gentle on the exhaust manifolds bolted up to the heads.

2. Removing it is pretty simple, it's right under the coil. Just gotta get a tune to delete the code.

3. Um...not really, might need one for O2 sensor depending on which headers your going with.

4. First look under the car and see if it's been welded. If it is cut it off before you start taking the exhaust manifolds off. Get a good clean thru and try to stay straight down as you can. If it's bolted up just unscrew and go on.

What kinda headers you goin with anyway?
Old 12-10-2004, 11:04 PM

Originally Posted by fesgali
What kinda headers you goin with anyway?
Well im going with Hooker Long Tubes.

As for cutting the pipe or not if it is welded what do i cut the pipe with? I don't have a power saw. Is there anywhere to rent one?

and as in extentions i meant socket extentions and swivals lol.

BTW How long did it take ya'll? Should i get some new 02 too?

Also How long did it take ya'll to do ya'll. I don't really have anyone that can help me drop the headers in at this time and im hoping i don't have to move motor to get them in.

As far as taking off the valve cover, starter, steering knuckle ect. Is it that hard? I'm planning on taking pictures of everything so if i have trouble i can peice it back together when im re-installing it and i don't know how alot of the stuff comes off. The plan is to just go at it and maybe refer to my manuel every now and then if i get stuck on taking something apart. Is there anything special i need to do while im putting the starter back on?
Old 12-11-2004, 04:33 PM

Use a hacksaw to cut if you need to. Dont know about the extensions. Try getting the headers in without removing anything first some people have had good luck some dont. It seems to depend on how high you can get the car. Starters have brass posts (the bolt the leades go over) DO NOT tighten them hard. Brass is soft and it will break use the smallest wrench you can and be gentle.