LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

The latest on my bizarre overheating prob, with no tstat-she still overheated

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2003, 01:56 PM

if you hear gurgling, then there is air in the system somewhere, like already stated. Try the air bleeder screw on the thermostat cover...u just start the car and unscrew it untill air stops coming out and water starts coming...dont unscrew it too much our you will get water everywhere...just enough to bleed the air out

honestly, the air doesnt sound like the problem...most of the time an air bubble in the system will only cause overheating because the air is blocking water from getting to the thermostat, thus, keeping it from opening, and the car overheats...but without a termostat in place, that doesnt make much sence...im going with bad or mis-wired water pump.
Old 10-07-2003, 02:04 PM

Originally posted by lbrowne
Well the pump can't operate at different speeds I'm assuming. I'm going to have to cap my cutout because I can not recall hearing my pump going all the time.

How do you have yours wired? I followed some online instructions that I found through this webpage..
My mechanic wired mine for me...it's wired directly to that positive terminal above where the battery sits and comes on whenever the ignition comes on. You may have yours wired in a different way...I'm sure there's more than one way to do it. I can only speak from my experience though.
Old 10-07-2003, 03:52 PM

My positive for the waterpump goes directly to that lil red plastic housing for positive connections by the battery, with the lil flip lid on it.

since my car is going to be put away soon i'll recheck how I have it wired, because it goes to a relay then to my fuse box that is spose to turn it on with accessories....so once you turn the key forward but before starting it.

Its strange though that it would only act up now after being there for 2 years.....
Old 10-07-2003, 04:47 PM

Make sure the coolant crossover tubes which screw into the rear of the cylinder heads are not clogged/obstructed/leaking. this is a long shot but highly probable in the event the CSI pump is functioning properly
Old 10-07-2003, 05:26 PM

I had a problem with my CSI pump similar to what you are describing. It stopped one day when driving home. A couple of other times, it had overheated rapidly with no explanation. Like you, I went through all the mechanical stuff and made sure to bleed the coolant.

I could not hear it running, but my indicator light said the pump was still getting power. After checking all the wiring to the pump, it was getting power, but still not running. I started jiggling the wires, and the pump started running again. After I jiggled them some more, it stopped. You could hear the pump speeding up and slowing down as I moved the wires. I moved each part of the wiring carefully to try to locate where the wiring was bad.

It looked like it was right at the pump housing that something was loose. So, I called CSI and asked them. They said the wiring might be bad, but that there was no way to tell without disassembling the pump. So, I paid to have them send me a new one and just swapped it out. I sent them back the old one for a refund with an explanation of the problem.

No more overheating...

BRAD
Old 10-07-2003, 07:18 PM

over heating

do you have a cat if so it might be clogged mine was