LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

LE1 questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2006, 02:01 AM

LE1 questions

Ive got 115000 miles on my engine, and thinking of getting the le1 package. Some quetins I had were does the cam have the dowel pin needed for my 94? should I buy the iron lt1 heads? when I insyall new head gaskets, will I need to change my pushrods? Do I have to get rid of EGR, Etc? what are some good mail order tunes that work well eith this package?should I upgrade the rockers?springs? I apolagize for all of the questions, and long post. I felt it would be a lot easier to just sum it up in one post.
Old 10-01-2006, 02:22 AM

Re: LE1 questions

Originally Posted by ajlew9428
Ive got 115000 miles on my engine, and thinking of getting the le1 package. Some quetins I had were does the cam have the dowel pin needed for my 94? should I buy the iron lt1 heads? when I insyall new head gaskets, will I need to change my pushrods? Do I have to get rid of EGR, Etc? what are some good mail order tunes that work well eith this package?should I upgrade the rockers?springs? I apolagize for all of the questions, and long post. I felt it would be a lot easier to just sum it up in one post.
You will get the LE1 cam for 1994 spec.
Lloyd reccomends the thinner Impala head gaskets.
Why would you want ported iron heads instaed of aluminum
50/50 chance on the pushrods, you will need to check geometry to make sure.
No you dont have to lose the EGR.
PCM4less.com and madz28.com are familiar with LE specs and will prived a decent tune.
Old 10-01-2006, 02:26 AM

The LE Cams are all custom ground, and will have the correct dowel pin length for your year car(just make sure Lloyd Knows).. and it's a good idea to double check the dowels length to make certain it's correct.......I would always go with aluminum heads over Iron(lighter, easier to repair, and, you can get away with a little higher compression with them before detonation, ECT....).......If you go with a thinner head gasket like most of us do to get a small compression boost(or atleast break even after the extensive chamber work Lloyd does), then yes, you "may" have to change your pushrod length, "NOT always", but this needs to be one of the last things you check after your new heads and head gaskets are on the car(every engine is different in what it needs)...on mine, the stock 7.2 length pushrods were the perfect ones to give the right rocker geometry even though I went with the Much thinner Impala head gaskets........you can keep or get rid of the EGR....since it dosn't hurt performance, I'd keep it, but you can choose to get rid of it to clean up your engine's looks a bit if you like.......Bryan Herter from PCM's for less is VERY familiar with Lloyd's packages and will be able to get you VERY close on a mail order tune.....thats who did mine and it's pretty darn close......there are a couple others, but for mail order I like Bryans tuning work.....hope this helps you some........you can't go wrong with Lloyds head and cam packages......Mine was done about a year ago, and it's just as fun to drive as the day I fired it up after the engine mods............good luck........Joe

Last edited by Joe B; 10-01-2006 at 02:31 AM.
Old 10-01-2006, 11:40 AM

You need to make love to the search feature on this site...

Last edited by 1995greenTA; 10-01-2006 at 11:42 AM.
Old 10-01-2006, 03:23 PM
Banned

Listen to Joe B, he knows what he is talking about.

Bret
Old 10-01-2006, 04:48 PM

thanks for all of the help. The only reason I was talking about iron over aluminum was B/c my uncle has a 96 Z, and he said after he did a custom head, cam package(not lloyd elliot)one of his spark plugs blew out, and flattened the threads,but I just assumed that he didnt thread it right, or it wasnt all the way in. He swore that it was though