LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

LE2 H/C/I is finished!

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2008, 12:11 AM

Originally Posted by Green96Z
You guys are a bad influence . The oil is changed and I'm already beating on it. I changed the TPS and the idle went down a little, but it's still high and RPMs come down kinda slow with the clutch in. Hopefully I get it running right so I can go get it dynoed this week.
I take it you've put a volt meter to the TPS to ensure it has the proper voltage?
Old 10-28-2008, 01:06 AM

Which track? The only one I know of near here is in Pomona I think.
He is talking about the California Speed Way in Fontana. I think; that is the only one I know of in Fontana.
Old 10-28-2008, 02:09 AM

This sounds like the deal we have around here. IRP (or now known as ORP) is home of the US Nationals in Indy. Actually the race park is in a little town called Clermont. The catch is, Clermont has been "incorporated" into Indy, but still has it's own local government body.

Originally Posted by SS MPSTR
Fontana, about 12 miles east of Pomona.
Which track? The only one I know of near here is in Pomona I think.
Originally Posted by henryz28
He is talking about the California Speed Way in Fontana. I think; that is the only one I know of in Fontana.
And to keep this on topic, I have a ? for SS RRR. Please don't take this the wrong way, but how do the marks or wear patterns get on the cam lobes if there isn't any contact ? Maybe I just misunderstood the explanation in your post but, I'm kinda confused now I do understand why (kinda) there isn't a "break in" period for the HR cams though.

Originally Posted by SS RRR
It's not. No "mating" necessary. If something were to break it would have to be blamed more on the component. Bearings, roller bearings and journals all have a layer of oil between them to eliminate friction. There should never be physical contact with a journal to bearing surface. Just sayin' for those who may think it's necessary....
Old 10-28-2008, 03:14 AM

Originally Posted by henryz28
That's the one I was thinking of. I just remember there was one near Pomona.

I take it you've put a volt meter to the TPS to ensure it has the proper voltage?
Yep, slotted it and it's at exactly .67 volts. Changing the TPS actually dropped the idle a bit, I think the other one was bad (came with the bigger TB).
Old 10-28-2008, 05:51 AM

Originally Posted by 511ERT
And to keep this on topic, I have a ? for SS RRR. Please don't take this the wrong way, but how do the marks or wear patterns get on the cam lobes if there isn't any contact ? Maybe I just misunderstood the explanation in your post but, I'm kinda confused now I do understand why (kinda) there isn't a "break in" period for the HR cams though.
Perhaps "eliminate" is a wrong choice of words. More like oil greatly reduces friction on the cam lobes. Wear patterns from a hydraulic roller lifter are generated more from a cold start up than at any other time during engine operation. Because you are dealing with a roller bearing which rides on the lobe there is no reason to "seat" or "break in" a cam lobe and lifter like in the days of old.
Old 10-28-2008, 07:57 AM

Ok, that makes sense to me. Thanks for the explanation and good info !
Old 10-28-2008, 10:09 AM

Perhaps "eliminate" is a wrong choice of words. More like oil greatly reduces friction on the cam lobes. Wear patterns from a hydraulic roller lifter are generated more from a cold start up than at any other time during engine operation. Because you are dealing with a roller bearing which rides on the lobe there is no reason to "seat" or "break in" a cam lobe and lifter like in the days of old.
Brian, you made sense!
Old 10-28-2008, 01:48 PM

High idle is fixed. Unfortunately, the track and dyno will have to wait, now my clutch MC is acting up again . Clutch won't disengage all the way, making it incredibly hard to shift. I already shelled out the cash for a McLeod adjustable MC (I'm not taking the chance of breaking another stocker), so hopefully it gets here and I can get it installed by this weekend.
Old 10-28-2008, 03:48 PM

what was the cause of the high idle?
Old 10-28-2008, 05:27 PM

I adjusted the idle screw, reset the TPS, and sprayed out the TB with some carb cleaner (I bought it used, and I guess the blades were sticking open a little). Still whistles though, so that's next on my list.
Old 10-28-2008, 07:00 PM

Glad I could help. It should also be added that everything experiences friction and over time parts will wear out because of friction. If there was no such thing then parasitic losses would be non-existent.