LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Leak in the A/C, any ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2003, 04:54 PM

Leak in the A/C, any ideas?

I know I can buy the recharge with the red dye, etc., but I figured I'd try here first. My A/C has not worked in a decent amount of time. At one time I took it to a place to get it checked out, and they told me it was electrical and would have to trace where the problem, all while getting paid by the hour. I declined this wonderful offer...lol. When I fixed my leaking manifold however, I noticed that the two wires on the wire harness to the compressor were burnt. I fixed that, and cold air actually blew for a day or so. After it quit I sort of gave up on fixing it, but living in Florida makes A/C a necessity. So today I bought a recharge kit, jumped the compressor to keep it running, and tried to charge the system. But the air never really got that cold, and as soon as I shut the car down I heard a hissing noise. I also saw fluid leaking down the firewall onto my y-pipe. The only thing I can figure is that the evaporator has a leak in it somewhere. I checked the two lines that go into, and come out from the firewall, and they seemed to be fine. I also noticed that the whole time I was trying to recharge the system the accumulator(receiver/dryer) never got any cooler. After I shut the car down I started it back up, and the system had already stopped blowing cold air. So I guess my question is has anyone had a leaking evaporator, and if so what were the symptoms? And has anyone fixed this problem, and if so approximately what is the cost?
Old 06-09-2003, 09:31 AM

TTT
Old 06-09-2003, 10:38 AM

The easiest way to confirm the problem is to add the die...just like you said. Sorry, I cant help you other than that.