LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Leaking at ALL seals!

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2010, 11:59 AM

Re: Leaking at ALL seals!

Originally Posted by Z28SORR
A leak down check at a competent shop shouldn't be any more then an hour labor charge.
Following "Hunters" advice isn't going to cost much and if you are "leaking all over the place" you can then still do the leak down check.
My 97 LT1 is as dry as a bone.
So what symptoms would an engine with excessive blowby suffer from?
Old 11-30-2010, 02:27 PM

FWIW, Ive had two LT cars. 96 SS Camaro and the 95 TA. The maro never leaked but only made it to 75,xxx miles or so before it was smashed. My TA is getting ready to hit 160,xxx miles. Dry as it gets. As a matter of fact these are the only two cars that Ive ever owned that have never leaked, burned oil, etc. I believe in regular preventative maint. and taking great care of the cars, and then take em out and beat the crap out of them!!
Old 11-30-2010, 10:31 PM

Go out and buy yourself some cans (3) of brake cleaner. Throw down some card board on the drive way. Drive the front of the car over the cardboard and jack the front of the car up and place on jackstands. put on some old clothes and safety goggles and climb underneath the car and go to it. Spray the block from the bottom, spray the transmission housing . Spray where ever you see oil . Spray where the valve cover attaches to the head all around. Spray the top back side of the motor. wipe with rags and spray till all traces of oil is gone. Drive the car for twenty minutes and then put back up on jack stands and with a flash light find where it is leaking. then get back to us. If you want to fix it. You might have to feel around with your fingers to find the source. Get a initiative and find the problem. I cant understand why anybody would go this long with a drip trail.

Last edited by jethrobodean; 11-30-2010 at 10:36 PM.
Old 11-30-2010, 11:25 PM

Originally Posted by 95blkbird
FWIW, Ive had two LT cars. 96 SS Camaro and the 95 TA. The maro never leaked but only made it to 75,xxx miles or so before it was smashed. My TA is getting ready to hit 160,xxx miles. Dry as it gets. As a matter of fact these are the only two cars that Ive ever owned that have never leaked, burned oil, etc. I believe in regular preventative maint. and taking great care of the cars, and then take em out and beat the crap out of them!!
Same here. Until I had my engine rebuilt at 175,000 miles, not a single drop of oil on the ground...
Old 11-30-2010, 11:26 PM

Originally Posted by jethrobodean
Go out and buy yourself some cans (3) of brake cleaner. Throw down some card board on the drive way. Drive the front of the car over the cardboard and jack the front of the car up and place on jackstands. put on some old clothes and safety goggles and climb underneath the car and go to it. Spray the block from the bottom, spray the transmission housing . Spray where ever you see oil . Spray where the valve cover attaches to the head all around. Spray the top back side of the motor. wipe with rags and spray till all traces of oil is gone. Drive the car for twenty minutes and then put back up on jack stands and with a flash light find where it is leaking. then get back to us. If you want to fix it. You might have to feel around with your fingers to find the source. Get a initiative and find the problem. I cant understand why anybody would go this long with a drip trail.
Never heard of using brake cleaner. I'll give it a shot.
Old 12-01-2010, 08:35 AM

Brake cleaner will ruin paint and soften the plastic under teh hood. Be careful using it. I wouldn't recommend it at all.....
Old 12-01-2010, 11:29 PM

Any updates?
Old 12-01-2010, 11:37 PM

Originally Posted by 94CamaroZ28/SSClone
Any updates?
Not yet. Too much rain to get under the car and take a look today...
Old 12-01-2010, 11:46 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by bw_hunter
Brake cleaner will ruin paint and soften the plastic under teh hood. Be careful using it. I wouldn't recommend it at all.....
lol brake cleaner is not acid dude... but yeah after you use it, wipe any painted surface down with some soap and water and you're good to go.
Old 12-02-2010, 06:43 AM

Dude?

I know what brake cleaner is and it does ruin paint and plastic.....almost immediately. It ruins paint faster than acid...

I'm just warning a guy that a procedure offered has a downside.....one that makes it unacceptable to me. He can make he own decision as to what to do....
Old 12-02-2010, 01:22 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by young maro
lol brake cleaner is not acid dude... but yeah after you use it, wipe any painted surface down with some soap and water and you're good to go.
[edit]Link stopped working, but it was for 3M Brake Cleaner, and included the caution "may instantaneously damage automotive paint and plastics"

Read the "NOTE:"

Last edited by Injuneer; 12-03-2010 at 04:31 PM.
Old 12-03-2010, 03:16 PM

I hesitate to offer advice here with so many of our more highly knowledgeable folks already having done so, but here it is...get yourself a small vial of dye that shows up under a uv (black) light...it's like 7 bucks at autozone. It's safe to add to your engine oil. Then drive it...if your leak is as bad as you say it is, don't drive it for too long otherwise everything will be green (shows up as bright green under a black light) and you will be no better off than you are now. I used this to diagnose an oil leak that was sending oil absolutely everywhere, and making 3-4 separate puddles in my driveway. The cause? One leak source, the seal behind the WP. It was dripping down, hitting my balancer and getting thrown everywhere. I replaced that seal (properly, this time) and was good to go. Not another drop since.
Old 12-05-2010, 08:10 PM

Updates?