LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

leaking seriously!! need help.

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2004, 01:50 PM

Angry leaking seriously!! need help.

greetings. just finished installing slp headers for my 97(shorties) and now ive got a major antifreeze leak. it seems that its coming from the passenger side header from the bottom cuz thats where its pooling on the ground. just cjanged my water pump . its all good in the fron its just that one side.

does anyone have any idea where/whatt this is coming from/ happening? please get back at me. thanx. peace.R.C
Old 02-22-2004, 02:16 PM

Head gasket?
Old 02-22-2004, 02:18 PM

Theres one thing ive realized after having to track down like 5 different coolant leaks over the past year...If one hose is leaking, replace them ALL!
Get the GM high miler kit from summit I think.
But you need to get under the car and check all the hoses right after you drive when they will be leaking the most...inspect all hoses. Dont leave out the heater hoses as well(such as the two that go into the firewall on passenger side...heater core hoses) But those usually leak onto the header and burn off and dont leave a spot on the ground.
Also it could be coming from your waterpump if you didnt let it seal good or put on enough RTV. Did you look to see if its leaking where it goes onto the engine block? ALso check the weep hole.
I bet you just didnt put a hose on tight, or tore one when doing the job.
good luck
Old 02-22-2004, 02:20 PM

I bet its coming from the steam pipe fitting on the back of the head. Are you sure he didn't damage it?

Last edited by scoobysnax83; 02-22-2004 at 02:27 PM.
Old 02-22-2004, 02:25 PM

oooo. looks like ill b cjheckin all of those very soon. my cuz whos a mechanic installed them. no joke its coming from the either behind or from the bottom of the passenger side header.

the coolant seems 2 b sparaying when the car is on and then just pools right below the passenger side door.
Old 02-22-2004, 02:26 PM

Where does it seem to be spraying from?
Old 02-22-2004, 02:26 PM

sorry, meant spraying when the car is on. turn the car off and then it hisses. where exactly is that steam pipe fitting your talkin bout?
Old 02-22-2004, 02:29 PM

you'll see the metal house for it just above the valve cover running back towards the back of the head. It bolts into the back and relieves pressure inside the head. If he torqued up on that pipe he may have damaged it where it enters the head. This happens sometimes when you remove the valve covers and are not careful. (Removing the covers isn't really even necessary)

Good Luck
Old 02-22-2004, 02:29 PM

seems 2 b spraying from behind the passenger header near the top?so it seems. i looked down with a flash light and c that its pooling way at the bottom of the passenger side. at the undercarriage theres a long metal tube or cover with holes in it riding along the passenger seat thats where most of it is comong from.any ideas?
Old 02-22-2004, 02:34 PM

whats the indication of a head gasket leak? im going 2 check the oil and c if theres anything in there that shouldnt b. i guessing also that its a hose or bolt that wasnt tightned up right . im gonna do some mnore checking and then get back here 2 u guys. thanx .
Old 02-22-2004, 03:04 PM

well took another look and it seems 2 b leaking from 2 areas. one being the hose that connects into the passenfer firewall. it was leaning on the header itself, melted and now has a hole wheres its leaking from. two. its also dripping from beneath the engine at least so it seems could b residual from the hose... should that hose b replaced or should i replace all of them? would any hose do? thanx peace. R.C
Old 02-22-2004, 03:13 PM

One of the heater hoses might be touching the header primary and melted it through. Sounds like it's somewhere in that vicinity.
Old 02-22-2004, 03:32 PM

ABSOLUTLY!! the heater hose was leaning on the header . when i moved it back a bit sqiurt!!! melted right through!!. did some research and it seems im gonn ahve 2 replace that hose add some heat sheild or tape and zip tie that little bitch 2 the ac accumulator. but should i replace all the hoses and buy that kit from summit or just replace the heater hose? thanx peace. R.C
Old 02-22-2004, 03:34 PM

u might as well replace them all while u are in there. we are not talking money we are talking time. u should save yourself some time in the future and get it done right now.
Old 02-22-2004, 03:43 PM

sounds good 2 me. hey anyone who has had this problem b 4 PLEASE by all means chime on in and help a brother out. thanx 2 all!! peace. R.C

Quick Reply: leaking seriously!! need help.