LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

leaky intake elbow?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2003, 04:00 PM

Arrow leaky intake elbow?!?!

i changed the coil wire today...and noticed when i put the intake back on and shut the hood, my car started to die out...like it was getting to much air? i then popped the hood and wiggled the intake elbow right at the throttle body, and it made a fairly loud hissing sound...i kept messing with it till i had the hissing sound almost gone...i took it down the road and it ran GREAT!!! then after it started to warm up i had a slight high end miss?!? i then messed with the intake elbow some more and drove it...it is somewhat ok now...

do you think that could be my problem in the high rpm miss 4000-6000 range?

if so where could i get one of those "vortec elbows" or the stainless steel looking elbows...and also do they come with a new rubber groment to mount it to the throttle body?

(im still thinking the cat could be parshaly stopped up)

thanks for your time,
steve
Old 10-01-2003, 02:08 PM
Administrator

A leaking intake elbow (bellows) will really screw up A/F management. All the air that enters through the leak is bypassing the MAF sensor, so the PCM has no idea how much fuel to add. And then there's the fact that the air that's leaking in is unfiltered and hot.... no wonder you are having problems.

The Vortech unit is cast aluminum. You can get the 1LE replacement elbow, same as the stocker, but without the silencer tube hanging down in front of the engine, for less than $50.

In the meantime, wrap some duct tape around the leaking elbow to prevent further damage to your engine. That will also tell you if its the leak that is causing your high rpm miss.
Old 10-01-2003, 03:46 PM

i think its fixed!

well after you sayin that about the unfiltered hot air...i decided to take a closer look at the intake elbow, i took my whole intake system off, maf, iat, and the k&n...cleaned them all.

anyways, i took the giant hose clamp that holds the elbow to the throttle body off and found 2 larger tears in the rubber!!! i think it is where only the top half of the elbow goes on and the bottom portions gets folded up...so i put some black tape around it and worked it back on the throttle body making sure it was on all the way, then worked some more black tape on it, and then tightened the hose clamp up as tight as i could...

then put the iat, maf, and the rest of the intake back on and started it...

i no longer have a crappy idle and the throttle response is alot better, now the real test was to let it warm up and take it down the road...i went down the road and did a 30mph punch and it about turned sideways!!! shifted at red line and barked 2nd pretty d*mn good!...i then let off and turned around and got on it again...same results!!

therefor i think my problem is hopefully fixed until i can afford to buy the vortec elbow.

thank alot!
steve
Old 10-01-2003, 04:32 PM
Administrator

If you have your mind set on a metal elbow, also look at the Trick Flow aluminum elbow. I looked at the Vortech elbow to use with my dry nitrous setup, and the Vortech elbow has a thick dividing wall down the middle. Even after having it machined out, we weren't happy with the small open area. I understand the Trcik Flow piece does not have the dividing wall.

Keep in mind... the aluminum elbow benefits the blower setups, because the compressed air from the blower is heated up, and it will lose some heat through the highly conductive elbow. But in an NA application, the air inside the elbow will definitely be cooler than the engine compartment air, so it is going to pick up heat through the metal elbow.