LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Leaving a clowd...

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2006, 12:13 AM

Leaving a clowd...

I thought I'd throw this up here just to see what kind of general concensus I could get on my problem here. I just had a 383 LT4 built and put it in the car...turns out my LT4 intake had a pretty bad vaccum leak. Well I had noticed that my car was burning what seemed to be oil at idle. I would let it sit there, and it would just start smoking out the back, not too bad but bad enough where it would rise up over the car. Anyways, once I got a new LT4 intake on and sealed up all the vaccum leaks it now leaves a huge smoke screen when its just sitting there at idle...and now if you drive it, it spits out smoke too. So after all that, my question is, what things can cause this to happen? Did the rings not seat right? Head gasket problem? Something in the machining? I'm not sure, the car is going back to my builder tomorrow so hopefully everything will be ok. Thanks for reading the long post.

PS Engine has little over 500 miles on it.
Old 09-11-2006, 06:57 AM

Re: Leaving a clowd...

Have your heads been milled? Sounds like in both cases the intake manifold may not be seating properly to the heads/block. When you pulled the first intake off were the intake runners oily?
Old 09-11-2006, 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by SS RRR
Have your heads been milled? Sounds like in both cases the intake manifold may not be seating properly to the heads/block. When you pulled the first intake off were the intake runners oily?
no, intake runners were not oily..atleast the first time, I didn't see it the second time. But we thought this might be the case, we used 3 different types of gaskets even. Supposedly the new intake made a good seal, but I'm not exactly sure. The heads are out of the box AFR 195cc's...now could it be that the block was not correctly machined for the heads? And oil is getting past the head gaskets? I didn't even know that was possible lol, I thought water would just do that. Any other info you could use? Thanks for the reply.
Old 09-12-2006, 10:10 AM

Anybody?
Old 09-12-2006, 10:13 AM
Administrator

What was wrong with your LT4 intake to cause a vacuum leak to the extent that the entire manifold had to be replaced?

White smoke, blue smoke or black smoke?
Old 09-12-2006, 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by Injuneer
What was wrong with your LT4 intake to cause a vacuum leak to the extent that the entire manifold had to be replaced?

White smoke, blue smoke or black smoke?
White smoke....the manifold I bought was machined by the previous owner in a way that when we put it down on the gasket, it wasn't creating a seal, it was pretty much a hack job. I got it off Ebay, tried to get my money back but he wasn't havin it. So luckily I found someone on this board that had one and was extremely hepful in getting it all preped and ready for me.
Old 09-12-2006, 10:18 AM

could have double intake gasketed it...ive seen it done...although i wouldent...bc i dont know the reliability of that...or a grinder..lol
Old 09-12-2006, 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by Daniel6718
could have double intake gasketed it...ive seen it done...although i wouldent...bc i dont know the reliability of that...or a grinder..lol
yeah I didn't want to double gasket it lol, I'd rather get things done right...which is why I'm so mad, I havn't cut any corners
Old 09-12-2006, 12:29 PM

anyone?
Old 09-12-2006, 04:08 PM
Administrator

White smoke is generally associated with water or coolant getting into the combustion chamber. Does it smell like burnt coolant at the exhaust pipe?
Old 09-12-2006, 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by Injuneer
White smoke is generally associated with water or coolant getting into the combustion chamber. Does it smell like burnt coolant at the exhaust pipe?
It does have a little bit of a sweet smell to it, but it also has a oil smell...very hard to explain. I guess I'm not much help, and is why nobody can figure it out lol. Its been sitting for awhile
Old 09-13-2006, 10:17 AM

bump