LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Lifter Question

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2005, 09:20 PM

Lifter Question

I have a question about my lifters. The other day I was installing a new pushrod because I had a bent one. I was also checking over my rockers and making sure they were loose at all. Well, I noticed that my #8 exhaust was kind of loose, I could move it so much that the roller tip could be moved off of the spring. I also noticed that I could push the pushrod down. Almost like I could push on the lifter play. Is this a normal thing to happen? I don't have much experience with this stuff, so I wasn't sure. I know the loose pushrod isn't normal, and I fixed that. I also found out I broke my rocker because it was so loose. But is it normal to be able to push down on the pushrod and move it down? Thanks for any help.
Old 07-19-2005, 12:25 AM
Banned

Re: Lifter Question

Originally Posted by Black_Z28
I have a question about my lifters. The other day I was installing a new pushrod because I had a bent one. I was also checking over my rockers and making sure they were loose at all. Well, I noticed that my #8 exhaust was kind of loose, I could move it so much that the roller tip could be moved off of the spring. I also noticed that I could push the pushrod down. Almost like I could push on the lifter play. Is this a normal thing to happen? I don't have much experience with this stuff, so I wasn't sure. I know the loose pushrod isn't normal, and I fixed that. I also found out I broke my rocker because it was so loose. But is it normal to be able to push down on the pushrod and move it down? Thanks for any help.
No, it's not a good thing to be able to do that.

Did you yank the intake to do this or did you just yank the valve covers?

Bret
Old 07-19-2005, 12:20 PM

Re: Lifter Question

I just took the valve covers off. I did notice that I could do it to a few of the lifters. Example, if the rocker was loose(no tension from the spring) I could push on back part(where the pushrod pushes the rocker) and I could push down on the lifter/pushrod. You could feel a cushion of some sort. Is it possible I need new lifters now? I only have about 2,500 miles on these...I replaced them when I put a new cam in. Thanks.