LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Lifters collaspsing

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2005, 09:15 PM

Re: Lifters collaspsing

I have a 93z and after installing 1.6 RRs and some hard driving i experienced similar problems. No black gunk though. The Marvel oil additive is suposed tobe good stuff. I havent used it though. Check your rocker arm studs, make sure they are not loose. I just readjusted mine, the noise is gone but it is not running right.
Old 08-07-2005, 03:03 AM

I here what your saying about comp cams R lifters, I see there are some guys on here who have had problems.

What if I used used these lifters from comp cams instead CCA 850-16

I herd the OEM GM lifters are expensive!

http://store.summitracing.com/defaul...h.asp&N=400114

When I flush the oil with a flushing agent I put it in and let the engine run for about 10 minutes then I change the oil and filter for fresh Castrol GTX. It was then that I hit 60psi oil pressure.

For me to gain oil pressure form 50psi to 60 psi with a flush and oil and filter change proves my problem is a gunked up motor that has done short journeys all it life. I have only done 6k of the 78k on the car

It was then with the valve covers back on that I let it run for 5 minutes and when I rev up to 4000rpm the lifters went quiet at certain revs then as the revs died down they started clacking again.

What if I take the lifters out pull them apart and clean them one by one?
Old 08-07-2005, 10:39 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by 95Z28Camaroman
I here what your saying about comp cams R lifters, I see there are some guys on here who have had problems.

What if I used used these lifters from comp cams instead CCA 850-16

I herd the OEM GM lifters are expensive!

When I flush the oil with a flushing agent I put it in and let the engine run for about 10 minutes then I change the oil and filter for fresh Castrol GTX. It was then that I hit 60psi oil pressure.

For me to gain oil pressure form 50psi to 60 psi with a flush and oil and filter change proves my problem is a gunked up motor that has done short journeys all it life. I have only done 6k of the 78k on the car

It was then with the valve covers back on that I let it run for 5 minutes and when I rev up to 4000rpm the lifters went quiet at certain revs then as the revs died down they started clacking again.

What if I take the lifters out pull them apart and clean them one by one?

When ya brake all that stuff loose in the engine it runs through everything and stops up oil pump pickup screens get's under relief valves in the pump and lifters and most cleaners will clean the rings where it will start using oil.
The stock lifter's will take you to 500FWHP and 7000RPM's so why change.
Ya could clean them and I use orange juice cans and carb cleaner.Ya have to keep all the parts for each together. One thing if ya bend or break the keeper for the check valve in any lifter it's junk.It's very hard not to break um. I built a tool to remove them but ya are going to ruin a couple making it and getting the procedure right.

The OEM replacements aren't a bad price and a hell of a lot cheaper than "R" lifters and a lot less trouble. Get some at a good parts house.

Some of the noise could be wear on the rocker's at the stem and the pivot ball.
Old 08-07-2005, 10:57 AM

I checked to see if my rockers studs were tight and sure enough they were but it was a good thought.

I dicided to pull the inlet manifold today and the black crud on that plate that hold the lifter plates down was 1/16" thick so removed it and I cleaned it.

I have a contact in the USA who has got me some GM parts for my car I will ask him if he can get me a set of GM roller lifters and the gaskets.

When I pulled the inlet manifold I found one of those clips that holds your vacuum pipe for the brake servo to the manfold under the inlet manifold covered in oil stuck to one side. So it's been off before, the clip was to big to go down into the pan.

How much is a set of OEM GM LT1 lifters?
Old 08-07-2005, 11:25 PM

I found a set of GM LT1 lfters on Ebay is this about what they charge at a GM parts shop?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/GM-30...spagenameZWDVW

Unfortunatly he does not ship to the UK!
Old 08-08-2005, 03:06 PM

How about these will thay do the job?

Old 08-08-2005, 03:17 PM
Banned

The CCA-850-16 seem to be the right ones but that is pricy. Ya can get a replacement from NAPA for a hell of a lot less.Maybe half that price.
Old 08-08-2005, 03:27 PM

Is $239 steep for CCA-850-16 roller lifters?

Who is Napa do you have a link to a web site do they ship to the UK?
Old 08-08-2005, 03:28 PM

if all of your lifters are pumping oil good... i dont know if it could be your lifters then, not a lifter expert. but, i thought my lifters were bad with 84k miles, a loss of power and a pretty bad rattle/clack... well i put new lifters in her and it did not fix anything. should have checked my oil sooner but i knew what i would find.... metal metal and more metal... had great oil pressure, but i spun a rod bearing. hopefully it wont happen again... good luck man!
Old 08-08-2005, 03:42 PM
Banned

http://www.napaonline.com/cgi-bin/nc...age.d2w/report

Try here. It's a big auto parts store in the US.
Old 08-08-2005, 04:07 PM
Banned

I just called the local NAPA and the OEM replacements made by Clevitte are $169.84 for 16. The performance ones for a cam are $479.84.If ya got a stock cam ya don't need the high dollar ones.
Old 08-08-2005, 06:06 PM

Ive got some crane gold RR's and Ive had this same problem b4. I think its the poly locks loosening up from high revs. It seems to happen mostly when I bounce off my rev limiter (about 6800). Ive replaced the lifters once, and it was super quiet after that. Im starting to hear them clattering again though, but I havent adjusted them in awhile so Ill do that first, but the last time I adjusted them a few times with no luck so I just replaced them all. I dont like doing just one, they've all seen teh same abuse and you might as well do a matched set all at once. Theres a guy on ebay that sells them for about 175 plus ship for comps (not r's).
Old 08-08-2005, 06:25 PM

For high reving engines and big camshaft: Comp r lifters with hydra rev kit or Morel lifters will be the best choice..
Also I think problems with comp R lifters become because of bad preload (turns).. I don't know what is the exact preload, but compcam suggest 1/16 turn..
Old 08-08-2005, 11:45 PM

I tried Napa, but I don't think they ship to the UK!

What about these form Summit Racing CRN-10530-16 $189

will they do the job?
Old 08-09-2005, 12:34 AM

I have a simular problem. I hit the rev limiter at 7000 rpms at the track and it backfired when I shifted and now have a lifter tick. The lifters are the Comp R's and none of the rockers nuts and poly locks are backed off. Could a lifter colapsed? I have read bad things about the Comp r's. The oil pressure is good 28-30 psi at idle and 60-65 at WOT so I don't think it is in the bottom end.
HVY SS

Quick Reply: Lifters collaspsing