LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Lifters really nessacary?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2004, 11:18 AM

Lifters really nessacary?

I recently purchased my motor but we had a little run in. Story is a motor i was going to purchase didnt have a cam or lifters with it so i was going to replace them. Well that motor one of the rings was blown so it went to crap. I got a motor off the same guy but it is complete motor everything is it and is running now. my question is do i really need lifters at this point? I going with a 233/239 cam and magnum 1.6 non self alinging rockers along with all the goodies.

Another question the cam kits that Combination motorsports sells do the components they sell with them as in the locks retainers and al that. Are they pretty good quality? Ive heard of valvefloat issues with them. Thanks
Old 04-03-2004, 11:34 AM

Only you can decide whether the lifters are going to be up to the job by examining them. IMO though, with that cam, you're going to need some nice beefy springs.. I'd replace them with some "R" lifters.

As for the parts from Combo, I don't have anything from them, so I can't speak to that - someone else is going to have to pop in.
Old 04-03-2004, 12:13 PM

I kept the stock lifters when I did my cam swap and I wish I would have replaced them because with the stock cam I didnt hear any noise but with the bigger cam at idle you can really hear the dead lifter that I have. My computer is picking it up as knock too. Now when I do my heads I have to go in and replace the lifters too. Do the lifters and save your self the hassle of having to go in it again.
Old 04-03-2004, 01:03 PM

Originally posted by ChuckZ28
I kept the stock lifters when I did my cam swap and I wish I would have replaced them because with the stock cam I didnt hear any noise but with the bigger cam at idle you can really hear the dead lifter that I have. My computer is picking it up as knock too. Now when I do my heads I have to go in and replace the lifters too. Do the lifters and save your self the hassle of having to go in it again.
What does your dead lifter sound like? I'm having a weird sound and i'm not sure if its a lifter or a bearing.

Edit: Sorry to hijack your thread! I would go ahead and replace the lifters while you are there. Its cheap insurance for the future.
Old 04-03-2004, 01:14 PM

well we wernt sure if it was a bearing at first or not because the sound is almost the same. Its a knocking sound inside the motor. The only difference is that it stops as soon as you give it a little gas and only knocks at idle. It is loud enough to hear it over loud exhaust and sometimes it takes a min. until the motor is warmed up a little.
Old 04-03-2004, 06:09 PM

thats cool i think i may replace them.

But what about the combination springs and all that? Are they good or should i just go with all comp cam stuff?