LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

The little shaft that drives the opti...

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2003, 01:06 PM

The little shaft that drives the opti...

on a 94Z.
the splines on the other side are supposed to spline into the camshaft sprocket right????? Because the timing set cloyes sent me they said works for 94-97 LT-1s. It has no splines in the sprocket, I think its supposed to say 95-97 because 94 was spline drive? or is there a piece I lost or somthing?
Old 06-09-2003, 01:11 PM

You know, I have this same problem. I built a stroker and bought a true roller timing set made by Cloyes from Summit. As I was getting ready to put in my opti, I was wondering what drives the opti and found nothing. The shaft just slipped in and didnt catch anything. I looked at old timing chain and found out why. I paid 350 dollars for this sucker, it should have had the stinking teeths for the opti in it dammit. The slpines/teeth for the opti are on the sprocket, but not on the Cloyes true roller. Anyone have a suggestion? Both of us are in a slump here......
Old 06-09-2003, 01:36 PM

I didn't get the roller. i got the cloyes OEM replacement set for 109$ but yeah same problem. other than that my old sprockt got sent home in the bin of parts not being re-used, I called the machineshop which got all of the parts for me and they are sending me the cloyes 92/93 cam sprocket, that should work right?
Old 06-09-2003, 01:36 PM

You have to use a 95 opti and you also have to get a cam with a longer dowel pin now. This is something you should have known?

Also, the reason they said will work on 94 LT1's is probably because impala's and vettes, (i'm assuming someone will probably correct me ), had the 95+ opti style setup.
Old 06-09-2003, 01:41 PM

i knew that the 95 and up was the pin drive, thats why i said I wanted the 94 !?! cant afford a new opti,
in fact my car has 75k on it and the only things stock are the fuel rail, oil pump and opti.

are the 93 and 94 cam sprockets the same?
Old 06-09-2003, 02:32 PM

Originally posted by Dave Feerst
i knew that the 95 and up was the pin drive, thats why i said I wanted the 94 !?! cant afford a new opti,
in fact my car has 75k on it and the only things stock are the fuel rail, oil pump and opti.

are the 93 and 94 cam sprockets the same?
Dude I bought my 95 opti for 90 bucks and works like a brand new one... 94 opti is garbage, the subject has probably been covered a million times on the board.
Old 06-09-2003, 02:33 PM

NiteRider... You have to use a 95 opti and you also have to get a cam with a longer dowel pin now. This is something you should have known?
The longer dowel pin will not work with my timing cover, it sticks out too far, far enough that I cannot bolt my cover onto the block. I do not have the money to buy another opti.

Does anyone know where I can get a timing set that has the spines for the opti of a 94? I gave up 350 for this timing set, so I am willing spend up to 350 for another one (when I get my refund). Can anybody tell me where I can get one besides GM? I would rather have a roller. I do not want to buy a 95+ opti anyways due to the conversion factor, I do not think my pcm connection is the same for the vented 95+ opti.
Old 06-09-2003, 02:39 PM

Niterider.... you say that I would need a longer dowel pin, what the hell for? All it does is stick out too far for me to bolt my timing cover down. I grinded it down to fit my car, all I need now is the proper timing set. I am not asking for a fawking debate between 94 optis and 95+ optis, I've heard plenty about it. Ive spent far too much on my stroker and do not want to cough out any more money for something that can be solved by simply changing the timing chain. I dont care what you say about the 94 opti, my car has 160k miles and still running the same stock opti, so dont get me started with the optis.
Old 06-09-2003, 02:39 PM

Yeah I forgot to add, you need a 95 timing cover. Trust me man it's worth the money even if you have to wait a bit.
Old 06-09-2003, 02:44 PM

IM NOT ASKING TO CONVERT TO A 95+ OPTI, IM ASKING FOR THE FAWKING TIMING CHAIN! What the hell, cant you simply answer our questions? I dont give a damn if the 94 opti is claimed as junk, im sticking with it and get with the program. We are asking for help and all your doing is trying to convince us something else is better when your not even helping at all. So do you know where I can get the correct sprocket for the 94 opti? If not, please leave this post and take your azz somewhere else and let others help us when we dont have time to put up with your crap. its that friggin simple........
Old 06-09-2003, 04:50 PM

nite rider..... you are right that the 95 is more durable. but it is no "better" functionwise thant the 94 opti. same 360 high data rate slots same 8 low data rate slots, same mitsu photo sensors and LEDS. The only differences are the pin drive and the ventilation. And I have no problems with mine so I am no gonna replace it, unless you will give me yours for 90$.... because for me it cost 300$

Im pretty sure there were no differences between the 93 and 94 cam sprockets, can somone confirm this??