LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Lloyd Elliot vs Advance Induction (AI)

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2005, 04:48 PM

Re: Lloyd Elliot vs Advance Induction (AI)

Originally Posted by WS6T3RROR
and when he posted on here in the past phil (ai) always seemed to have a chip on his shoulder.
You are clearly not reading the same posts by him that I am, and if you knew him like I do, your opinion would undoubtedly be different.

Originally Posted by WS6T3RROR
i talk to him quite a bit about stuff and he will absolutely be honest with you on what he thinks of something. he also very much stands behind his work and if theres a problem he'll treat you how he wants to be treated.
The description you typed above fits AI perfectly.
Old 04-04-2005, 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by tardy007
Thanks for everyone's opinions. I was leaning towards Lloyd early this morning, started to lean toward AI later and now beginning to lean towards Lloyd again. The CNC at AI though is soo tempting though.

"Indecision, the key to flexiblity."---Anon.

If you are getting equal results, go where you feel the most comfortable with the people.
Old 04-04-2005, 05:22 PM

This pretty much has been beaten to death. They both do good work, aimed at a similar audience. I have seen both companies work as well and they both "look" the same. Even had work from both porters on my car. Porting looks like porting...showing you pictures or flow numbers is pretty irrelevant.

A head porting company should be able to give you what you want. If you want to dyno high, ask for it. If you want to run fast (trap high) ask for it. If you want to flow a crazy number...ask for it.

Look at your budget and your goals. When you purchase thousands of dollars in product, you need to decide what you want to do. I looked at both options when I was buying my top end too.

My personal preference is for Ai. I had great service and recieved more than I asked for in every respect. For my nitrous motor I wanted a solid compromise between NA and Nitrous and got just that. My full port heads and a custom nitrous grind (smaller than an LE2) dynos like it runs...hard. My 355 makes more SAE TQ than just about any I have ever seen. I make 400rwhp by 5700 rpm and 390rwtq at 4200rpm. Ignition/valve lash problems kept me from pulling to 6500 where I should find the peak. I had a GREAT experience dealing with Ai, everything was on time and as promised. They also have a great relationship with Jeff Creech (CAM) and can set up tunning in that respect.

When you build a motor think about your goals and then ask yourself if you'll look back and think,"I should have or could have?" It is always cheaper to pick something that will do what you want the first time. Base product can be had for a similar price from each porter...but getting that extra is where the choice comes in. Good luck with your decision!
Old 04-04-2005, 05:44 PM

Granted i'm having problems with my car but that is comp and my fault not Ai's. Phil is extremely nice and very helpful. I like the fact that they don't skimp on anything. If you want to cut corners, and run cheap parts that compromise the finished product you had better go some where else and Phil will tell you that. I've read Phil's posts and he doesn't seem to have a chip on his shoulder. I've seen both of there products before and the Ai stuff looked awesome. The quality just seemed much higher. Lloyd was very nice and took the time to send me info and pics of his stuff too. I'm just a devoted Ai man.

Edit:Jeez thats a lot of torque tireburnin, for a 355.
Old 04-04-2005, 05:48 PM

[QUOTE=OldSStroker]"Indecision, the key to flexiblity."---Anon.
QUOTE]

Guess I am just a really flexible person, cause I am leaning toward AI now

Cr*p, I don't know, least I got it narrowed down to two!!!!
Old 04-04-2005, 07:23 PM

Squirrel's book to choosing between companies:
1. take quarter out of pocket
2. call heads lloyd
3. call tails AI
4. Toss in air
5. watch landing of coin
6. Pick lloyd is coin lands heads up, AI if tails up

[/thread]
Old 04-04-2005, 09:02 PM

I am sure that you would be happy with who ever you chose.

Just be sure that you explain what you want and what you are willing to spend in beginning of the conversation and you will be that much further a head.

If a customert wants great results and is willing to buy aftermarket heads (LT4's with 2.08/1.60's, AFR, TFS, etc), you are obviously gonna get better results that someone starting with stock castings.

If you are willing to take the engine to 6500 or even 6800 RPM or higher, you will get better results than someone only wanting to take the engine to 6000 or 6200 RPM.

A person with ALL of the bolt ons, (1 7/8 headers, electric WP, 3" true duals, and DYNO tune) will obviously make more power than someone with basic mods (larger inj, 52 MM TB, 1 5/8 headers, mail order tune). If you are using stock inj and no tuning, you will not make much power with ANYONES heads and ANY cam.

If a person is gonna get all the complimeting mods and good tuning, you will be happy with either one.

Lloyd Elliott
972-617-5671
Eportworks.com
Old 04-04-2005, 09:53 PM

im going with lloyd in the fall. i sent him an email and he answered every question and was very helpful. i sent ai an email and they didnt answer any of my question's, not helpful what so ever. just my .02
Old 04-04-2005, 10:06 PM

Originally Posted by warbird27
im going with lloyd in the fall. i sent him an email and he answered every question and was very helpful. i sent ai an email and they didnt answer any of my question's, not helpful what so ever. just my .02
I don't know about that...must be a communication error or something. I talked with them just recently (under a week) and I've NEVER had a problem in the past. Ron usually gets back to me in under a day, and Phil has called me at 9:45pm their time to answer questions. I rarely see/hear anything bad about either ones service.

But best of luck with your LE setup, it's always good to see a fellow F-body driver modding his car.
Old 04-04-2005, 11:54 PM

I'm gonna put my vote in for AI also. I got extremely good customer service. Better than pretty much any other business I've ever dealt with. I was surprised to say the least (not that I was expecting to be kicked in the ***** or something...). Ron and Phil both have excellent *Cue Napoleon Dynamite voice* People skills. Ron always emailed me back quick. Sometimes in less than an hour. Never over a day or so though. I've talked to Phil on the tele, and he was great. Had a nice little discussion about the numbers it put down. They do top notch work. I haven't dealt with Lloyd, but from what I hear he's damn good too. I went with AI, mainly because I heard from everyone that they had the best work. You pay a little more for it, but I was willing to shell out a little extra. They also have that thing with Jeff up at Cam, which is an hour away from my house.
Old 04-05-2005, 12:06 AM

Originally Posted by Camaro97USAF
They also have that thing with Jeff up at Cam, which is an hour away from my house.
Yeah, that thing with CAM helped sway my decision a bit too...and think about how many hours they are away from me! Says a lot when a request of one of their customers helps bring one of their colleagues (who happens to be one of the best tuners in the country) to California to tune.
Old 04-05-2005, 12:19 AM

Yeah I was actually talking to Phil about your set up on the phone.
Old 04-05-2005, 12:28 AM

Originally Posted by tireburnin
I don't know about that...must be a communication error or something. I talked with them just recently (under a week) and I've NEVER had a problem in the past. Ron usually gets back to me in under a day, and Phil has called me at 9:45pm their time to answer questions. I rarely see/hear anything bad about either ones service.

But best of luck with your LE setup, it's always good to see a fellow F-body driver modding his car.
im not saying he didnt get back to me. i emailed him 3 times he answered back 3 times, but didnt answer any questions. he just said to email him when i was ready to order. i was trying to get opinions on misc stuff before i send my heads out, such as valvetrain and what not, all he replied to was how much i got to spend and when i was ready to order from him, give him a call. i was just disappointed in the fact that he didnt help me out, thats all.
Old 04-05-2005, 07:38 AM

Originally Posted by tireburnin
Porting looks like porting...showing you pictures or flow numbers is pretty irrelevant.
Didn't even show the porting, just a shot of the heads, that's all.
Old 04-08-2005, 03:45 AM

I've said this before and I'll say it again, I don't know anything about AI but they sound pretty damb good, however I'll tell you one thing. When I bought heads I tried Lloyd, and let me say, the customer service was the best on the planet, the heads were immaculate, the attention to detail was amazing, with a crappy tune (header gasket blew) I made the numbers in the sig and I plan to make much more, I've since got anther set from Lloyd for my dad's car, its funny because I started the porting myself, then in the end I'm like ahh screw it send it to lloyd even though they look good, when they came back, what do you know, they look that much better!

It amazes me how Lloyd never pushes his products but when you get them, its like he should be telling the world about it

I'm gonna have another set but AFR's ported for my next 383 project for boost and I'm definitely going with Lloyd yet again for the third time.

Quick Reply: Lloyd Elliot vs Advance Induction (AI)