LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Lloyd Elliott Heads: PROBLEM??? HELP:confused:

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2010, 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by STOCKTA
Yes belzona is the master of reshaping ports for higher velocity in ATV and 2stroke drag engines I have built. I have honsetly cut the entire port out of banshee's and many 125's and also a couple SBC heads and rebuilt the entire port cross section with belzona then re-ported over the belzona.
Check out some of the belzona tricks I have used to raise this LT1 intake port roof without having my buddy weld it.

I have also ported and used belzona in 80% nitromethane burning drag dirtbikes and many many many 50,000rpm nitro rc cars, that epoxy WILL NOT BURN OUT!!!!!!!! It has a great expansion and cooling rate that is very close to aluminum and I have litteraly baked the stuff with a torch trying to make it fail. It only gets stronger the longer it cures. I have also used it to fill bolt holes and redrill and tap the belzona area to fix major stripped holes and cracked spots in intakes. Also have fixed many gasket area's on intake gasket flange where people have gotten to aggressive with the die grinder.

So defintly take your grandpa's advice and use this stuff, I bet he knows the exact ratio of the two epoxy's that need mixed for different tensile strength. I used to mix up a different ratio's of it to fix different kinds of parts, like a-arm's and hubs just to get home
It's some great stuff, the only downfall is for someone who does not have the type of access to it that some others have because it is very expensive. I think one kit of 1111 runs about $700 to $800.
Old 04-13-2010, 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by jwindh1
It's some great stuff, the only downfall is for someone who does not have the type of access to it that some others have because it is very expensive. I think one kit of 1111 runs about $700 to $800.
Oh snap.
Back to billy mays super mighty putty.
Old 04-13-2010, 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by jwindh1
ROFL - I had already thought up at least 20 uses for the stuff (both for my real 1:1 z28 and a bunch of rc cars I have) until I saw the cost. WOW.
Old 04-17-2010, 02:25 AM

Originally Posted by gunter96ws6
i know lloyd personally,hes an lt1 wizard. if he says its fine, trust me its fine.

You guys give him WAY too much faith.

Last edited by MrBuick (Magnum); 04-17-2010 at 02:40 AM.
Old 04-17-2010, 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by MrBuick (Magnum)
Clearly, you have never met Lloyd..
Old 04-17-2010, 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by MrBuick (Magnum)
some people just get it, lloyd is one of those people. but if you wanna pre judge someone youve never met and likely never spoke to, be my guest.
Old 04-17-2010, 11:26 AM

From my POV some posters are putting too much emotion and off-topic chatter into this thread. Comments regarding Lloyd's character or integrity should not ever have been brought into this thread. Stay on topic and comment on the product not the porter. Rather than put judgement on the porter, let his work speak for itself. Either the product meets with your approval or it doesn't. If it does or doesn't and why is the topic of this thread.

Last edited by arnie; 04-17-2010 at 11:32 AM.
Old 04-17-2010, 12:29 PM
F6

I agree with the fellows, which say he's a great guy to deal with, spoke to him and sent him at least 50 mails; he answered them all. He went beyond to what is normal to get the heads sent back to me. Being a nice guy and quality are two different things.

But like Arnie said, "Let his work speak for itself and either the product meets your approval or it doesn't. If it does or doesn't and why is the topic of this thread".

I personally would pay more, therefore have very good quality than just some sleek looking ports with all having different shapes and volumes, way too big of a combustion chamber and never have been flowed. I had to rework most of the intake ports and combustion chambers myself.

It really was a bargain with all the work that was done to my heads, but like I said, I would have gladly paid more for more quality. The problem is, most people buy heads or have them ported without checking and measuring after they arrive. I might be one of a few people with the knowledge and tools that scrutinize everything they buy, and strange enough I find quite a lot of things that are not the way they should be.

I certainly won’t buy a cam from Bullet anymore or have heads ported from LE.
Old 04-17-2010, 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by F6
The problem is, most people buy heads or have them ported without checking and measuring after they arrive. I might be one of a few people with the knowledge and tools that scrutinize everything they buy, and strange enough I find quite a lot of things that are not the way they should be.
I agree, and the words I put in bold are the key. Most will believe the work performed is of good quality, however may not be qualified to perform the inspection and/or checking.

Last edited by arnie; 04-17-2010 at 01:10 PM.
Old 04-17-2010, 03:19 PM
Administrator

As has been pointed out already - STICK WITH THE TECHNICAL ISSUES. This is not going to turn into a popularity contest.
Old 04-20-2010, 11:25 PM

He should have warned you about this before hand and let you decide how you want to proceed.

Advanced Induction asked what my casting # was before I sent them in and mentioned the two problems in regards to porting.. one is the casting thickness and two is the aluminum hardness. Porting allready thin castings can create longevity problems and clamp force problems (not to mention cracking), and overheated castings create soft alumimum which makes it even less strong, leading to sealing problems and blown head gaskets.

They would not port my heads unless I passed both checks, 1 = casting # and 2 = harndess to ensure I have no head related problems for decades of abuse.

Does Llloyd mention any of this before you fork over $$?
Old 04-21-2010, 02:42 AM
F6

no!!
Old 04-21-2010, 07:26 AM

The two different spots in this thread that show breakthoughs have nothing to do with the bare casting thickness as the breakthough spots are in machined holes. The hole ground into the exhaust bolt hole is very common and will have zero effect on the life of the heads or engine. The hole in the intake runner shown goes into the head bolt hole and you need to just run a small dab of rtv on the underside of that head bolt to make sure it doesn't pull oil. It is not uncommon to breakthrough there as well and some heads like the ProFilers actually come that way from the factory. It does not affect flow though most often people install a sleeve in the hole after a breakthough for cosmetic purposes.