LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

"Lock up" engine to assemble it on a stand?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2006, 07:49 AM

"Lock up" engine to assemble it on a stand?

Just curious what method you guys use to do things like installing the crank sprocket while the engine is on a stand w/ the heads off.

I have a flywheel locking tool I've so generously borrowed from Cehan for probably way too long, but obviously the flexplate isn't on right now while it's on the stand.

I have a piston stop (comp "heads off" piston stop with the bolt in the center that adjusts accordingly, used this to degree my cam last time), but I'd hate to damage the pistons putting the force required to get the crank pulley on. What do you guys normally do?
Old 04-27-2006, 09:00 AM

Re: "Lock up" engine to assemble it on a stand?

the thing i id was pretty ghetto but i would put a bolt in the back of the crank where the flywheel bolts up and wedge a breaker bar up against the wall.
very janky? yes
did it work? yes
Old 04-27-2006, 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by cjmatt
the thing i id was pretty ghetto but i would put a bolt in the back of the crank where the flywheel bolts up and wedge a breaker bar up against the wall.
very janky? yes
did it work? yes
LOL...This is what most of us do

Frank
Old 04-27-2006, 10:03 PM

When I did mine, the first thing I discoverd was that the bolts and engine stand mounting brackets were too short to allow the flywheel to be installed with the block on the stand. No problem, I got me a piece of 1/2" schedule 40 pipe and cut some short lengths (like about 1-5/8") and welded them on to the short pipe extensions on the engine stand brackets. This made the brackets extend out to a total length of 3". I then bought some 3/8-16 X 4-1/2" grade 8 bolts and put a couple of washers under the bolt heads and a couple between the end of the engine stand pipe ends and the block and then mounted the block (flywheel already installed) on the stand. Plenty of room now, and you can use the flywheel lock tool too .
Old 04-28-2006, 07:20 AM

Originally Posted by cehan
When I did mine, the first thing I discoverd was that the bolts and engine stand mounting brackets were too short to allow the flywheel to be installed with the block on the stand. No problem, I got me a piece of 1/2" schedule 40 pipe and cut some short lengths (like about 1-5/8") and welded them on to the short pipe extensions on the engine stand brackets. This made the brackets extend out to a total length of 3". I then bought some 3/8-16 X 4-1/2" grade 8 bolts and put a couple of washers under the bolt heads and a couple between the end of the engine stand pipe ends and the block and then mounted the block (flywheel already installed) on the stand. Plenty of room now, and you can use the flywheel lock tool too .
LOL damn your fabrication.. you wanna find me a welder to do all this stuff?
Old 04-29-2006, 05:55 AM

Ha ha . You know, if you prefab all the pieces, I bet it wouldn't cost you more than a few bucks to have it all welded up. Just buy a pipe nipple (1/2", schedule 40, preferably black iron-not galvanized) about 12" long from Home Depot, Lowe's or a plumbing supply store. Cut the lengths you need from it (1-5/8" or whatever), then use some bolts and washers to temporarily assemble them to the engine stand bracket pieces. That will hold them together for the welder. Take them to a weld shop, metal fab shop or some place that does welding, and have them do the welds. It shoudn"t take the guy more than 20 minutes. If you can't find black iron, grind all the galvanizing off the weld affected zone so the guy doing the welding won't have to do it, and charge you mo' money.