LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Long tube headers horror stories. . .

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2005, 03:59 PM

Re: Long tube headers horror stories. . .

Well, If I lived in Michigan (was born and raised in Lansing-now in Oregon) I wouldn't have any performance exhaust sytem unless it was stainless and coated: the salt residue, even after winter, can reek havoc on the bottom of your car. Hell, I've owned cars where I could see the hiway through the floor boards---although it was to my advantage when I had to ditch my stash in a hurry.
Old 12-02-2005, 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by BUBBA
Well, If I lived in Michigan (was born and raised in Lansing-now in Oregon) I wouldn't have any performance exhaust sytem unless it was stainless and coated: the salt residue, even after winter, can reek havoc on the bottom of your car. Hell, I've owned cars where I could see the hiway through the floor boards---although it was to my advantage when I had to ditch my stash in a hurry.
lmao!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!! hahahha
Old 12-02-2005, 04:40 PM

Now that my car is back to stock height (and has been for the past year and a half or so), I don't scrape my Hookers on anything. It was previously lowered with Eibach sportlines and I scraped/dragged/banged against anything and everything that happened to be in the road. The worst was trying to swerve to miss a raised manhole cover on a recently resurfaced road...the passenger side header smacked it hard enough to flatten one of the primary tubes.

On the other hand, I know plenty of people who are using the Eibach pro springs with Hooker longtubes and they don't have that many problems with scraping. I guess the sportlines were just taking it a bit too far.
Old 12-03-2005, 09:07 AM

My car isn't lowered, I have FLP's (good ground clearance), and I still scrape quite often. Most of the time it's the d@mn people at shops that drive too quickly up the ramps
Old 12-03-2005, 10:09 AM

I have the coated pacesetter longtube headers, a home-made y-pipe with 2 cats (built that with my own three hands), EGR and AIR hooked up, stock O2s, and the stock catback. The car has passed emissons with no problems the past 2 years.

I used some tek (sp) screws and tacked a piece of thin galvanized sheetmetal up to the floor on the drivers side for a heat shield where the fuel line passes. The headers tuck up high against the floor, so I get the pipe smacking the floor sound and some buzzing from my heat shield occasionally.

I live north of Pittsburgh PA and drive the thing year round. I work out by the airport so I get a nice 45 minute ride in the salt, chemicals, and crud during winter. It's like driving your car through a sandblaster/chemical stripping tank every day on the parkway. LOL.

The headers are pretty rusty where the primaries go into the collectors. I'm guessing that the coating might stay on a lot better in dryer climates.

Roads can get pretty rough here, but I've never had any scraping from the headers or y-pipe.

I would say it comes down to what you are doing with the car. If you want it to always look good, then I would say save up some money and get stainless headers. If going fast is more important, you're not worried about looks, and are on a budget, then do the coated headers.
Old 12-03-2005, 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by Type_O_Negative_1320
Now that my car is back to stock height (and has been for the past year and a half or so), I don't scrape my Hookers on anything. It was previously lowered with Eibach sportlines and I scraped/dragged/banged against anything and everything that happened to be in the road. The worst was trying to swerve to miss a raised manhole cover on a recently resurfaced road...the passenger side header smacked it hard enough to flatten one of the primary tubes.

On the other hand, I know plenty of people who are using the Eibach pro springs with Hooker longtubes and they don't have that many problems with scraping. I guess the sportlines were just taking it a bit too far.

do you still have the lowering kit? wanna sell it?

Last edited by SinisterSix; 12-03-2005 at 10:49 AM.
Old 12-03-2005, 10:09 PM

my collectors scrape all the time i dont know if its because of the skinnies or not but im putting my stock wheels back on when i get the car running
Old 12-05-2005, 01:28 AM

I have Hooker LTs with 3 inch purple horny header mufflers and I run an Eibach drag launch kit. When I first installed the kit and with 50 series tires on my skinnies I hit just about everything. I went to a VW beetle tire and took about 300 pounds out of the car and have great ground clearance.
IMO as long as the car is at stock ride height you won,t have any problems.
Old 12-05-2005, 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by SinisterSix
do you still have the lowering kit? wanna sell it?
I got rid of it a long time ago...don't have it any more.