LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Long tube, ORP and Borla owners please....

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2004, 04:08 PM

Long tube, ORP and Borla owners please....

Until now I used a dual cat y-pipe to connect the Jet Hot long tubes to the Borla cat-back. I really like the sound that combination made. This weekend I sold that pipe to a fellow board member and had a new y-pipe made w/o cats. Now there is a raspy sound to the exhaust. It is not raspy all of the time and it does sound good for the most part. There are times however at certain speeds or rpms that is sounds like crap. What are you guys using to eliminate the raspy sound created by using an ORP w/ this combination? I don't know if there is a real solution to this problem and that's why I am looking for your suggestions.
Thanks
Old 10-11-2004, 04:13 PM

Re: Long tube, ORP and Borla owners please....

How about gears to keep you out of that RPM while cruising.
Old 10-11-2004, 05:38 PM

I don't have LT's, but i do have have Headers, ORP and a Borla. I know the raspyness your talking about. What i did was get a electric Borla cutout. That way i can close off the exhaust and keep the car livable until i want to open it up.
Old 10-12-2004, 11:09 AM

The raspiness gets old real fast. I put hi-flow cats back in my system - eliminates most of the raspiness and most of the raw fuel smell (when heated up, it doesn't smell at all).
Old 10-12-2004, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by Z95m6
I don't have LT's, but i do have have Headers, ORP and a Borla. I know the raspyness your talking about. What i did was get a electric Borla cutout. That way i can close off the exhaust and keep the car livable until i want to open it up.
I've got the same setup, I really like how I can change the sound with the electric cutout in the Borla, you can really tune the sound that way.
Old 10-12-2004, 07:58 PM

I put the solid plate in and it still has a raspy sound to it. Has anyone used or know anything good/bad about resonators?
Thanks
Old 10-12-2004, 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by SS MPSTR
The raspiness gets old real fast. I put hi-flow cats back in my system - eliminates most of the raspiness and most of the raw fuel smell (when heated up, it doesn't smell at all).

I did the same thing, put a high flow cat on. The cat made it sound a whole lot better.
Old 10-12-2004, 08:41 PM

yeah i dunno why these motors sound so raspy without cats, but they do. I had no cat for a couple weeks and went with a high flow cat cause i got tired of that raspy sound real quick.
Old 02-06-2005, 10:20 AM

I bought a Borla XR1 muffler (40085 3"/3" 15"long 5" diameter) but it won't fit since the y-pipe is tucked tightly up against the car. There isn't enough clearance for the additional diameter of the muffler. In order to obtain the clearance needed I would have to have a new pipe made that hangs slightly lower. The y-pipe is made completely out of 304SS and I'd like to keep it as is...if possible.

Has anyone tried Dynatech inserts, or something simialr w/ good results?
http://store.summitracing.com/defaul...32520&x=16&y=4

How about the Dynomax bullet mufflers? These are 4" round so the clearance may be there to make this fit. The only thing I don't like about these is the material isn't 304SS, but they are certainly cheap enough to replace every couple of years if needed.
http://store.summitracing.com/defaul...4222&x=12&y=11

Any other options/suggestions?

Thanks
Old 02-06-2005, 11:34 AM

ive got headers, no cat and open borla right now

ugh, i dont even like to drive it it sounds so ****ty. I got the borla used so it came with the widest plate only, that didnt help, so im gonna make a solid plate, then get this hiflow cat i have put on. hopefully it adds some bass to the note
Old 02-06-2005, 11:52 AM

Only bad thing about a cutout is that the exhaust reverberating against the pavement makes the exhaust 10x louder inside the car then it would be if it exits behind the car.

I can't say anything though, I got a cutout and love it But then again I love loud *** exhaust.
Old 02-06-2005, 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by Mr.Whitey
Until now I used a dual cat y-pipe to connect the Jet Hot long tubes to the Borla cat-back. I really like the sound that combination made. This weekend I sold that pipe to a fellow board member and had a new y-pipe made w/o cats. Now there is a raspy sound to the exhaust. It is not raspy all of the time and it does sound good for the most part. There are times however at certain speeds or rpms that is sounds like crap. What are you guys using to eliminate the raspy sound created by using an ORP w/ this combination? I don't know if there is a real solution to this problem and that's why I am looking for your suggestions.
Thanks
I bitc*ed about this combo a couple times, you can find my thread "Borla + LT's==worst combo ever" or something similar. It looks like glasspack works the best, then it goes either cone or bullet muffler. Electric cutout won't get rid the raspiness, don't ask me how I know . So you got 3 options- 1)glasspack 2) cone 3)bullet muffler, with glasspack being the cheapest and the most effective
Old 02-06-2005, 12:53 PM

I have the same setup: Jethot LT's, Jethot Y, into the borla. I know EXACTLY what you are refering to about the rasp--very bad, especially when decel (lots of popping). Fortunately, I got two of those dynatech cones early on and they took out 95% of the rasp and dramatically took down the popping. Put one in each of your collectors and I think you'll be happy. Also, do yourself a favor and pick up a DMH E-Borla. For $150 you can't beat it, by far the most "fun" mod I have done. It's great to be running half to full open, see a cop--close her up and pass by smiling.
Old 02-06-2005, 01:30 PM

Dave @ DMH has been working hard on something special but he is depending on a very "unmotivated" pal to help work out the details...so, I still don't have the Borla cutout. I've tried all of the plates and the rasp is still there so I don't think the DMH will give me the desired results, BUT it will be a "fun" mod.

I don't mind having a loud exhaust at all, BUT...I don't want this rasp.

So the cones work well enough to remove the rasp or just some of it? Are there anyother brands other than the Dynatech?

Thanks
Old 02-06-2005, 02:46 PM

i have same thing
jet hots/ hooker oryp/ borla, no plate.
i love the raspyness. i didn't know borla made electric cutouts,,can someone post a link to them?
i would leave it. raspy = fast. lol

Quick Reply: Long tube, ORP and Borla owners please....