LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Are longtubes a lot louder than mid-lengths???

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2005, 04:55 PM

Question Are longtubes a lot louder than mid-lengths???

I've always wondered on this, but assuming all things are equal (engine internals, cats or no cats, cat-back), will longtube headers be a lot more noticeable volume/tone-wise than mid-lenghths on the same set-up?

Right now I have a stock internal LT1 that currently runs 1 5/8 MAC mids, a highflow cat, & the GMMG cat-back. After the MAC's went on, the car actually got slightly quieter at idle and part throttle. And only got noticeably louder at WOT. I also have a stock internal LS1 with the GMMG and 1 3/4 Kooks longtubes w/ highflow cats and it is much louder than my LT1 (just sounds flat out more aggressive IMO).

Don't get me wrong, the MAC's are awesome headers for the price and provide great gains, but I guess I'm just a little disappointed they aren't louder. And no, I'm not getting rid of the cat (already done that; hated the crappy mid-rpm range tone even though the car was much louder in the higher rpms).

Mike
Old 05-22-2005, 05:03 PM

Re: Are longtubes a lot louder than mid-lengths???

The long tubes will offer a different tone than the mids. They will give a much richer sound throughout the rpm range. Lon tubes are definately the way to go.
Old 05-22-2005, 09:14 PM

Volume wise, they sound similar, at least the ones I've heard. I like the sound of the MAC's better, but everyone has their own taste.

Dan
Old 05-22-2005, 10:09 PM

well i dont know about the mids, but my long tubes with no cats and a flowmaster Y-back sounds amazing, nothing but compliments. if i had to do it again i would definatly do the longtubes without a doubt
Old 05-22-2005, 10:19 PM

How mich ground clearence is there from the longtubes? I have never had good luck with the clearance form them on any other car, I was considering going with either shorty's or mids for ground clearance.
Old 05-22-2005, 11:10 PM

I think the exhaust sound changes more with the choice of your cats or the lack of them for that matter.. Don't really think you could notice any change in header length..
Old 05-23-2005, 12:29 AM

Question Re: Are longtubes a lot louder than mid-lengths???

Originally Posted by mattybz28
I think the exhaust sound changes more with the choice of your cats or the lack of them for that matter.. Don't really think you could notice any change in header length..
Going by what you're saying, then why is my LS1 with longtubes so much more louder overall than my LT1 with mid-lengths (keep in mind both use highflow cats and run the same GMMG cat-back system)? Unless the LS1 is just a louder motor (which both of mine have been louder for some reason with all things equal compared to my LT1)?

stereomandan...Why do you prefer the sound of the MAC's better? Just curious...
Old 05-23-2005, 01:28 AM

Volume has little to do with mids/LTs/etc... Like said, it changes the tone quality. I do not know what the reason is for the above post comparing LS1 to LT1 volume saying LS1 is louder. Could this be because the LT1 is an iron block, producing deeper fuller tones while the LS1 is aluminum producing tones not as deep and full? Like speakers....a tweeter with lead guitar will sound louder than a subwoofer? Does the LS1 sound BETTER and LOUDER? Or is it just louder?
Old 05-23-2005, 01:48 AM

I would venture to say that the reason there is a sound difference is the actual difference in the exhaust. The exhaust route changes slightly and the cats are in a different place. This may be the actual reason why there is a tone/volume difference.
Old 05-23-2005, 01:50 AM

Also, you didnt say if the LT1 had a single or dual cats.
Old 05-23-2005, 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by 2000LS1Z28
Going by what you're saying, then why is my LS1 with longtubes so much more louder overall than my LT1 with mid-lengths (keep in mind both use highflow cats and run the same GMMG cat-back system)? Unless the LS1 is just a louder motor (which both of mine have been louder for some reason with all things equal compared to my LT1)?

stereomandan...Why do you prefer the sound of the MAC's better? Just curious...
This is just my take on it, but the MAC mids have a little tighter, controlled tone to them. It's just as deep in tone as the LT's though. The LT's that I've heard sounded like there was more volume(size, not loudness) in the exhaust, as can be expected, but it's more like sound bouncing off the walls of a cave. The MAC's have a little more modern sound to them, while the LT's have more of the old school sound behind them. It's hard to explain really.

Dan
Old 05-23-2005, 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by MeanGreen97Z
Also, you didnt say if the LT1 had a single or dual cats.
My LT1 has one single highflow cat while my LS1 has two highflows...I just thought I remembered hearing that the different size/design in primary tubes not only had a direct effect on tone (longtubes are "screamier" up top), but also in overall volume since more air flow usually equals more noise...
Old 05-23-2005, 09:34 AM

StereomanDan: Why did you put 94-95 style mid's on your 97 Camaro?
Old 05-23-2005, 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by z2896
StereomanDan: Why did you put 94-95 style mid's on your 97 Camaro?
...because they are better than the '96-'97 dual cat design. The dual cat design has shorter primaries on the drivers side and they wrap up high in the engine bay. The '94-'95 style are true midlength headers, where the '96-'97 style is more of a shorty style. The single cat versions allow me swap a cat, or a bullet mufler, or a straight pipe in about 5 minutes.

Plus they were less expensive than the dual cat design.

Dan
Old 05-23-2005, 03:12 PM

There is no comparing a single cat LT1 tone to a dual cat LS1 tone. If that LT1 had the same exhaust component for component the LT1 will be louder. May not have the same tone and pitch but will definately carry more volume. (loudness)

Quick Reply: Are longtubes a lot louder than mid-lengths???