LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Looking to buy an LT1

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2004, 11:04 PM

Question Looking to buy an LT1

Just wondering if you guys could help me. I'm looking to buy a 95-97 Z28, and I was wondering what to look for. Anything to be aware of with the engine? Any reaccuring problems the lt1's have? Just wondering what to look out for. Thanks for the help, Tyler
Old 02-22-2004, 11:48 PM

I am by no means an LT1 expert, but I learned quite a bit when I was searching for mine.

There's a whole host of things that can go wrong on any car, but a weak point on the LT1 would definately be the Opti. Just it's location alone makes it a pain to work with.

Intake manifold leaks also seem to be a problem with a lot of LT1 guys.

Other than that, 95+ got the vented opti and duel cats. 96 changed to OBDII computers. 97 got updated interior, wheels, and tail lights. There's also a pretty big jump in differences between the 93 and later models years.

Just do some searches on here, and make sure to wait for the right car you want. Took me about three years of looking.
Old 02-23-2004, 12:04 AM

There's a few problems LT1's are notorious for.

Check for an intake manifold leak by reaching your hand over the top of the engine and feeling the very back for oil. If your hand comes out oily, you don't want it.

Let the car run for a while then at idle, open the oil fill cap. If there's small clouds of smoke billowing from the cap you don't want it.

Sit yourself behind the car when it's idling. It should smell clean if you know what I mean.

Take off the oil fill cap again, look for a brownish red color on the inside of the cap. Also, smell the cap. If it had a burnt, almost sweet smell you don't want it. If either of these are apparent you've got water in your oil which probably means a blown head gasket or a cracked block.

Slowly and smoothly run her all the way up nearly redline. There shouldn't be any backfiring or weird drop offs in power up top. If there is you've probably got yourself an opti that's about to go out on you or simply bad ignition components.

Obviously check the oil pressure. Let it just sit and idle for ten mintues or so after already being warmed up. Watch the temp guage, check to see it stays away from redline.

Assuming the car is an M6, put it in first gear, while she's idling. Keep the clutch pushed in and your foot off the brake. Make sure you're on a level surface. Hold this for about 40 seconds. The car shouldn't move at all. If it starts creeping forward you've got hydrolics problems having to do with your clutch.

Check your master cylinder fluid, brake fluid, coolant level, and obviously oil.

Lastly ask when the waterpump and opti had last been changed. They have a tendency to go out together. Oh and if you can crawl under the car and look for an oil leak. If it's bad you will be able to see the front portion of the tranny layered in oil.

Almost forgot. Check the entire engine bay for rub throughs.

Well I think that should about do it. Good luck!