LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

This looks to be a tough one, bad miss.

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2004, 08:42 PM

This looks to be a tough one, bad miss.

Alright, as some of you may already know i just installed a new lt1 into my car last week. I am having some battery issues as well as a abnormal idle and a bad miss upon acceleration. Let me start with the things that i do know. 1. The battery has something wrong with the terminal, when the car dies and i go to re-start it all i get is a click, the dash lights and stuff come on but when you turn the key to start it I get nothing but a click and lose of power, we know its the terminal bc we didnt have these starting issues with my friends battery. 2. The car idles at about 600rpm and will jump to 700 and then down to 500, the battery guage also jumps around alot when its doing this. 3. When the car is in park you can rev it up and the miss really isnt all that bad, but when i take it down the road it starts missing out and sputtering really bad and then eventually dies when i stop to turn around. 4. The miss is terrible when you start accelerating down the road, and the car has no power what so ever and acts like it doesnt want to go, and then all the sudden more power kicked in and the car accelerated faster but was still missing out. We know it has to be something electrical bc of the sudden gain in power so its not something that is permenently there. Also i dont understand the issue with it not being nearly as bad in park then it is when your accelerating. I am at a lose here and i dont really want to take it to a dealership, if anyone has any ideas when could be wrong i would reall y appreciate your comments. My car has been down for a year and i finally got a new motor put in and i want to drive this bad boy. Thanks, Dustin.
Old 08-03-2004, 05:32 AM

Re: This looks to be a tough one, bad miss.

The first thing to cure is the battery issue. Once you have a good battery in, check the voltage across it with a voltmeter while it's running to be sure you have close to 14 volts. This will be sure your alternator is ok. Next double check the routing of the plug wires and the connections. Also look at night for arcing.

If the problem persists, check the fuel pressure at idle and while you drive around. Remember if your short on fuel, as you drive the car, it will show more than when you're idling.
Old 08-03-2004, 06:16 PM

Could this be a o2 sensor problem?? It only misses out really bad when i am accelerating in drive, not when i am in park. It misses out some in park but not nearly as much when i rev it up. The car has open headers with a y-pipe on it right now and thats it. Also how do you check the fuel pressure while driving?? Does someone sit under the hood and hold on or what??
Old 08-04-2004, 05:17 AM

The only way the O2's could be causing a problem would be to change your fuel to air ratio. You would see black smoke if it were running rich. As far as checking the fuel pressure while you drive around, you use a fuel pressure gage with a hose and tape it to the windshield.

I would focus on the wires, plugs or opti first. Then move to fuel after you have eliminated the wiring. Bad plugs, wires or a distributor cap that has carbon trails on it can cause your problem.
Old 08-04-2004, 08:19 AM

The optispark should be fine bc it is brand new, only like 25 miles on it also the plug wires are on right and they are brand new. When we took out the spark plugs from the other engine they were black on the ends but they didnt look too bad. What could be the explaination for it not missing out as much in park as it is when I am in drive and accelerating, also the fact that power just kicked in from nowhere has to be some sort of clue, i could realy feel more power from the engine all the sudden but the miss was still there just not as bad. I really wanna figure this out by myself but it looks like i may have to surrender it to a dealership, I think ill just pay them to figure out whats wrong with it and then ill fix it myself. Thanks for the input youve given so far, Dustin.
Old 08-04-2004, 08:24 AM

have u checked out the coil ?
does she trouw any error codes when u scan the ecm
Old 08-04-2004, 07:04 PM

We havent checked the coil yet, we we're thinking that might be the problem buy we havent tested it yet. I dont have any SES lights or anything coming on and i dont have access to a scanner right now, my friend knows a guy that works up at a dealership here in town and said he would scan it for us. So i may have to do that. But i will be checking that coil here soon, Thanks, Dustin.
Old 08-05-2004, 02:33 AM

if the coils is giving problems unfortunately the pcm cannot measure or detect any misfires.
Old 08-05-2004, 09:06 AM

With that being said. If it was just a sensor or something i would get an SES light right?
Old 08-07-2004, 03:25 AM

What about the MAF sensor? I am gonna try and get the car home tommorrow and see if i cant look at it more in depth. I called a few shops today and they all said yea bring her in and we'll take a look at it and see if we can get it figured out, so i may end up doing that. Anyone else have any input? Dustin
Old 08-07-2004, 03:51 AM

Ok ok what about a fuel pump problem?? I was reading a post a few minutes ago about how someones car was hard to start. Before i installed this new engine and i still had my old one i had the same problem. I would have to turn the car over like 3 times to get it to start each time about 5 seconds and then vroom it would start. BUT if i turned the car off and then started it back up a few minutes later while it was still pretty warm it would start up easier. Is my fuel pump going out and its flexuating my fuel pressure causing my engine to miss and stumble?? Now that i recall i do have to turn this new motor over a few times before it will start. Thanks for any input, Dustin.