LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Loose sparkplugs

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2004, 08:59 PM
nfa

Loose sparkplugs

First off - I am a total bonehead...

I changed the sparkplugs on my 94 z28 a few wks ago, and I was so afraid about overtightening them that I guess I put them in with insufficient torque. I checked the plugs today, and it turns out that 4 out of the 8 were loose enough to come off by hand! (ie. they were turning as I was pulling the plug wires off the plugs!)

A week ago, I took my car to the drag strip for the first time and ran a best time of 14.2 @ 99.99 mph. The only mod was a hacked stock airbox and a deleted muffler. Do loose plugs make a big difference in how the car would have run if they were put on properly? Would I have atleast gotten over the 100mph mark if it were done right? Arghh..

Michael.
Old 09-02-2004, 09:20 PM

Re: Loose sparkplugs

Originally Posted by nfa
First off - I am a total bonehead...

I changed the sparkplugs on my 94 z28 a few wks ago, and I was so afraid about overtightening them that I guess I put them in with insufficient torque. I checked the plugs today, and it turns out that 4 out of the 8 were loose enough to come off by hand! (ie. they were turning as I was pulling the plug wires off the plugs!)

A week ago, I took my car to the drag strip for the first time and ran a best time of 14.2 @ 99.99 mph. The only mod was a hacked stock airbox and a deleted muffler. Do loose plugs make a big difference in how the car would have run if they were put on properly? Would I have atleast gotten over the 100mph mark if it were done right? Arghh..

Michael.
you might have lost a little (very little) power due to slight compression loss & lack of plug reach..............but not much, certainly no lasting effect. Just torque them all up & run the strip again & you'll have your answer. My guess is you're losing power somewhere else (the numbers look a bit slow)...but with no car info to go of in your (non existant) sig, who knows.
Old 09-02-2004, 09:49 PM
nfa

Ill have to run it again and see what happens. I wasnt too happy with the mph. The et's sucked b/c of my driving (2.4 60 ft). Car info:

94 z28 with 175k km's on the clock. M6 transmission. Stock tires, stock airfilter.. stock everything except for the two things I mentioned in my first post. I've been slowly trying to bring everything back to spec maintenance wise before investing in mods (ie. changing all the fluids, fuel filter, plugs/wires/coil).

Originally Posted by tanmanski
you might have lost a little (very little) power due to slight compression loss & lack of plug reach..............but not much, certainly no lasting effect. Just torque them all up & run the strip again & you'll have your answer. My guess is you're losing power somewhere else (the numbers look a bit slow)...but with no car info to go of in your (non existant) sig, who knows.
Old 09-03-2004, 03:08 AM
Advanced Member

99mph trap speed isn't that bad...

He's mostly stock except for the airbox... and these car were rated at 14.5 stock form...so I say he is right on track.