LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Low coolant light.

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2003, 12:53 AM

Low coolant light.

My low coolant light came on the other day after driving about an hour and a half. I checked the radiator and overflow and everything looks good. Now it comes on afetr I drive a couple of minutes. If it sits overnight it will come on afer about 10 minutes of driving, but after its warmed up it comes on immediately when the car is started. I bought a new cap and that didnt do anything. The car is running fine and the temp is normal. Could it be the low coolant sensor in the radiator? I figured if that was it the ligth would always come on immediately and not only after its been warmed up. What you guys think? Could it have something to do with closed and open loop? Does the pcm not read the low coolant sensor before the car is at operating temps? That sensor sure looks like a pain to get to.
Old 04-24-2003, 01:01 AM

Re: Low coolant light.

Originally posted by J96Z
My low coolant light came on the other day after driving about an hour and a half. I checked the radiator and overflow and everything looks good. Now it comes on afetr I drive a couple of minutes. If it sits overnight it will come on afer about 10 minutes of driving, but after its warmed up it comes on immediately when the car is started. I bought a new cap and that didnt do anything. The car is running fine and the temp is normal. Could it be the low coolant sensor in the radiator? I figured if that was it the ligth would always come on immediately and not only after its been warmed up. What you guys think? Could it have something to do with closed and open loop? Does the pcm not read the low coolant sensor before the car is at operating temps? That sensor sure looks like a pain to get to.
Not everyone uses the sensor. LS1's dont even have them. I unplugged mine - however got a new one on my new radiator so I have it plugged back in. Your PCM doesnt read this sensor as being a "critical" sensor. Only thing the PCM does is turn on the Low Coolant light for ya. It honestly sounds like you've just got a bad sensor. Mine would go off just the same as yours would. So you can either buy a new one. Or just ignore it and unplug the sensor. No harm there. BTW, here's a picture of the p/n's for ya thanks to shoebox: http://csce.uark.edu/~jgbertr/rb/low_coolant.jpg
Old 04-24-2003, 01:19 AM
L44

an hr tops, i had no idea what i was getting into an it was simple, i had the same problems as you, replace it an you should be good to go