LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Lowering Springs Installed, but still looks high in the rear

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2003, 09:14 PM

Wow, I don't feel so bad now

If you driven that much and they are still at that height do what I did. I grabbed some heavy rubber hose (like heater hose for example) cut off enough to cover the top rung/coil of the spring that touches the chassis of the car. My friend and I let some liquid hand soap run through the hose first and it slipped on with a tiny bit of coaxing.

I can check if you like, but I'm thinking it was a 5/8" hose that we used for a nice tight sleeve fit.

Mine sits much nicer now, still higher in the back but not as much as before.
Old 06-02-2003, 09:35 PM
SS HOTTIE

Yes, I was told about the garden hose deal....but I don't know about doing that...the springs should be right with the stock boot IMO...this garden hose stuff is BS.

Old 06-02-2003, 10:29 PM

I had the same problem with DMS springs. Eric sent me a new set for the rear, but they were exactly the same.
This saturday i cut off 1/2 a coil from the rear and now i'm satisfied.
Old 06-02-2003, 11:28 PM

Thats the way my car sits right now pretty much.

I don't think the hose bit is BS (btw I wouldn't use garden hose), I was reluctant at first until I took the pieces out and looked at how thick they were. They were thick enough to make the difference, once removed it made all the rear already started to look a lot better.

Its only a chunk of rubber, just bigger than a hockey puck. I kept mine in case my springs settle too much, I'll put them back in.

If you are not happy get a hold of Eric at DMS, he's been more than helpful to me and seemingly everyone else here that deals with him.

lbrowne

EDIT: kostya_f, welcome to the board and nice car, in your picture are those bought front indicators or ones you made yourself?
Old 06-03-2003, 07:36 AM

Thanks, I've been registered a while now, just don't post much.
I bought those. They were 35 bucks including shipping on ebay from procarparts.
Old 06-03-2003, 05:07 PM

ss hottie, cut about 1/3 of the coil off or take out the stock hard rubber peice that the spring sits on and use a good quality garden hose to prevent any noise, the stock units are very thick and you will be alot lower in the rear if you ditch those.. thats what i did to my car...
Old 06-03-2003, 09:00 PM
SS HOTTIE

I've already been in contact w/ Eric...not sure what I'm going to do at this point...my whole point is, is that the springs should drop the car correctly without having to modify them or the spring rubber. I have seen plenty of cars with Eibach's and they require no modification....debating here though...the fronts are such a pain in the a$$ to remove and reinstall.

Kostya: do you have a side shot of your car?

Old 06-03-2003, 09:16 PM

That clunking sound you guys are hearing are your lca bushings. Tighten those things down a bit more and it will go away, at least it did on mine
Old 06-03-2003, 09:34 PM

ss hottie, dont be discouraged if you have to modify the springs, most springs are never right anyway.. i have lowered many f-bodys and i always cut just a little bit off the front coil spring to give it that nice stance and and always take out the rubbers in the rear and the cars i have done always came out looking perfect, i also run 315/35 in the rear so i cant go as low as say a sportline spring but with out a small modification to the spring i dont think you will get what your looking for, i have done BMR, DMS, AND EIBACH PRO KIT, and have always had to cut just a little bit off of them to get that perfect look, even GMHTP magazine says to it.. good luck with what you decide on, i should have some pics by the weekend so ill send some too ya..
Old 06-03-2003, 09:52 PM

http://home.nc.rr.com/kostyaf/Pictur...le_smaller.jpg
http://home.nc.rr.com/kostyaf/Pictures/lr_smaller.jpg

Last edited by kostya_f; 06-03-2003 at 10:26 PM.