LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Ls1 vs. Lt1

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2003, 11:04 AM

I wouldn't trade mine for anything.
Old 12-11-2003, 11:26 AM

Originally posted by Javier97Z28
Hey that's my car!

Around here it seems most LT1 owners are younger people who don't really know much about them and are surprised as to how fast you can get them going. I had a couple of guys come up to me asking me how the hell I was running the times I was putting down with the mods I have. I explained and found that too many people waste their money on crap like throttle bodies, hypertechs, mafs, and other stuff that might give you 1 hp....
Young people that don't know much? It sounds like you don't know much if you think throttle bodies and programming only gives you 1 hp. I happened to dyno 50RWHP/30RWFtLbs more with all bolt on's. And mine can still pass emissions and give 24mpg city/32-34hwy;can yours? I'm not trying to pick but don't dog people on their approach. I'm sure your's is really fast and you know your stuff but don't underestimate bolt on's for people that don't want to sacrifice streetable gears and cams just to go one second faster such as your car.
BTW, nice 60 foots, Javier. Peace

Last edited by suprchrged400; 12-11-2003 at 11:44 AM.
Old 12-11-2003, 11:39 AM

Where is this 97 SS? Ill take it in a heartbeat.
Old 12-11-2003, 12:28 PM

Originally posted by suprchrged400
Young people that don't know much? It sounds like you don't know much if you think throttle bodies and programming only gives you 1 hp. I happened to dyno 50RWHP/30RWFtLbs more with all bolt on's. And mine can still pass emissions and give 24mpg city/32-34hwy;can yours? I'm not trying to pick but don't dog people on their approach. I'm sure your's is really fast and you know your stuff but don't underestimate bolt on's for people that don't want to sacrifice streetable gears and cams just to go one second faster such as your car.
BTW, nice 60 foots, Javier. Peace
Find me how much a TB will help on a stock car... 2hp? Good job after you wasted close to $400 on something about as useful as a paperweight. Did you noticed I mentioned Hypertech? That is a WASTE of money.. many people on here have come back saying how they have *LOST* power by using one. Hypertechs are a waste, tuning from a respectable mail order place or dynotuning is the *only* way to go.

I don't care what you dyno'd to be perfect honest, show me some track #'s and I'll tell you if what you did was worth a damn.

I far from underestimate bolt-ons. I went 12.9's with just a cold air, catback, converter, and longtube headers. If I had wasted my money on TB's, MAF's, and hypercraps I'd still be running mid 13's.

My car is 100% streetable and driveable. Considering it's an A4 I still get about 19-20mpg. Can I pass emissions? Nope, don't have to, no emissions testing in Florida. If I had to? I'm sure some less agressive tuning and cats would do the trick.

I stand on my ground, by the way, I'm only 21... when I meant "young people" i meant alot of 16-18 y/o's that are just starting out in my local area (not this board) and are driven in the wrong direction on the wrong things to buy. These guys stood there in amazement when I told them I had a screened stock maf and a stock TB, amazed that you didn't need to waste money on that until your making *real* power.
Old 12-11-2003, 12:38 PM

I can see not STARTING off with mods like a TB but I only paid 149 for a stock one that is bored and has the undersized bearing so I don't get slop in it like the stock one had. Car Craft did a dyno test on the TB and they are low granted but 7HP was the number. I mainly went for the TB and underdrive pulley(50.00 used) because I already HAVE every other important bolt on such as headers, 1.6rockers, catback(which I am looking to upgrade to corsa or SLP(NOT loudmouth), offroad pipe(if I'm running at the track), CAI, programming, colder stat. So, I was at the end of the line grabbing for any last bolt on's I could get my hands on. So, I agree some of it isn't worth much and I wouldn't have started modding with small HP/big $$ parts but they all add up.
You just kind of generalized it like anyone who bought that stuff is an idiot and I don't think that is true(especially when you can score it used), Just do it in the right order.
BTW, I'm not going to give track numbers b/c on stock tires and a 6 speed with all these mods I'm not doing so good-2.5's 60 fts if you must know(Nitto's are next)so I'm in mid- high 13's with excessive tire spin, should be low 13's with traction. so for me dyno numbers are a lot more accurate than judging a 6 speed. If I had an A4 and just had to plant the gas and go-sure judge me but I don't so you can't tell squat from MY 1/4 times right now.

Last edited by suprchrged400; 12-11-2003 at 12:44 PM.
Old 12-11-2003, 12:45 PM

See, you just gave an example of spending money on the wrong stuff. Instead of spending $$ on tiny bolt-ons that aren't worth much, you could have already had nitto's and would already be running lower 13's instead of "should be" running lower 13's.

That's why people think LT1's are slow at the track IMO, people doing the wrong stuff. I see it in the sportsman lanes EVERY time I go to the track.

LT1's running 14's with headers, intake, catback, and other small things. Frankly it only makes us have to work harder to get more respect from the LS1'ers.

I'm not saying don't put stuff on your car if you get a good deal on it, if I picked up a 52mm TB for $100 or something I wouldn't pass up putting in on my car either. I think you took my post out of context.
Old 12-11-2003, 12:48 PM

O.K. maybe we misunderstood one another. Peace, and you got me on the tires. I guess that IS pretty dumb to just keep putting more and more power up in smoke. I think for the most part I did o.k. on my order of mods but that is one major-oops.
Old 12-11-2003, 12:51 PM

No problem man...

And now folks, we take you back to the topic at hand.
Old 12-11-2003, 12:54 PM

Hey javier, do you think you would be running better or worse times at the track if you had a 6 speed?
Old 12-11-2003, 12:58 PM

Originally posted by Munson
Hey javier, do you think you would be running better or worse times at the track if you had a 6 speed?
Probably better MPH, but my ET's wouldn't be anywhere near as good. For the most part (and not all by any means) A4's are going to 60' better due to experience. Who knows, I may be a great 6spd driver deep down inside. I'm A4 with a converter all the way. I plan on 1.5's in the next few months.
Old 12-11-2003, 01:08 PM

Why the hell does everyone price their 96 and 97 camaros so damn high? I look on autotrader every now and then and people have camaros with 120,000 miles ratty looking exterior and they want like 12k !!!
Old 12-11-2003, 01:26 PM

Why the F*ck are we having this topic every other month. LT1 blah, blah, LS1 blah, blah

Its a personal preference. Stock for Stock LS1 put out more power but that why you have mods.
Old 12-11-2003, 01:53 PM

just to feed the fire:

If your looking for cheap an LS1 is not the way to go. Sure, it takes less mods to hit 400rwhp, but with the extra money you spent on the car (I can't touch an LS1 for less than 12k around here...LT1's can be had for $5000) and the extra money on performance parts (cost a lot more for an LS1) you could have a wicked running LT1 that will decimate anyone with an equal amount of $$ in their LS1.
Old 12-11-2003, 02:13 PM

I agree w/ Javier97Z28. Although I'll eventually get a 6-spd an A4 with a stall is hard to beat at the track. I feel a lot more confident at the track knowing my times will be more consistent. BTW, that is one sweet ride you got there Javier97Z28. Keep up the good work.
Old 12-11-2003, 02:23 PM

I personally look at it this way.

The LT1 puts down an average of about 240 to 250 stock rear wheel horsepower. The LS1 puts down an average of 295 to 305 stock rear wheel horsepower. People with LT1's go and buy catbacks, headers, Hotcam Kits, CAI's, and all that stuff, to put themselves up to STOCK LS1 horsepower.

Well gee thats great, you are now capiable of running with a stock LS1! How many LS1's are stock?

So lets think. I'm going to go and buy an LT1 drop all this money into it, to get it up to smaller numbers, when I could have bought an LS1, put everything that I did into the LT1 money wise and put down close to 400rwhp.

I've seen full exhaust 6 speed LS1's put down 340rwhp, heads and cam LS1's do well over 400. Full exhaust LT1's are making 280 maybe? Mod for mod the LS1 makes better numbers no matter what.

To me the decesion is clear, and I wish I never bought the car I did. If I could do it all over again, I would be driving an LS1.

Quick Reply: Ls1 vs. Lt1