LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

ls1driveshaft

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2004, 11:17 PM

ls1driveshaft

what r the advantages of a LS1 aluminumn 3" drivehaft compared to teh LT1 2.5" steel drive shafts....someone on here is selling one and im interested in it...what would u pay for 1 with yoke included??
Old 02-08-2004, 11:20 PM

Re: ls1driveshaft

Originally posted by CamaroSS30thAnn
what r the advantages of a LS1 aluminumn 3" drivehaft compared to teh LT1 2.5" steel drive shafts....someone on here is selling one and im interested in it...what would u pay for 1 with yoke included??
I think certain years are better than others. I've used one before but I'm not sure what year car it was from. All I know is that I twisted it on street tires with my only major mod being a 3400 stall Vigilante converter.
Old 02-08-2004, 11:27 PM

anybody else ttt
Old 02-08-2004, 11:38 PM

Re: ls1driveshaft

....someone on here is selling one and im interested in it...what would u pay for 1 with yoke included??
Just my opinion but no more than 100 shipped since he doesn't know what year and all it is from. How do you even know it will work in your car considering this?
Old 02-08-2004, 11:43 PM

The only real advantage is to get rid of any vibration you might have now with the steel unit. It does cut down on a little rotational mass, but won't be noticeable as far as HP is concerned. It is also a little weaker than the steel one. I would say that if you are not having any problems, don't mess with it.
Old 02-08-2004, 11:49 PM

I bought mine out of a 2002 SS, it was in great shape. I tink I paid around 120 for it on ebay. It made a huge difference on my car, I had no more vibration on the freeway. When I got the driveshaft I replaced both u-joints and had it balanced. IMO it was worth it.
Old 02-08-2004, 11:50 PM

shoebox def know what he is talking about so i usually listen to him lol.....could my ds destroy my seals and not have any vibrations...like in other posts my pinion and trans shaft seal are leaking but i have no vibrations could it just be from rotting out...i mean the car is 7 years old?? just a thought.
Old 02-08-2004, 11:56 PM

shoebox def know what he is talking about so i usually listen to him lol.....could my ds destroy my seals and not have any vibrations...like in other posts my pinion and trans shaft seal are leaking but i have no vibrations could it just be from rotting out...i mean the car is 7 years old?? just a thought.
Bettery be careful. At this time of night, I am not always sure what I am typing.

Sure vibes can cause seal problems, but you would have likely felt it if it were a contributing issue.
Old 02-09-2004, 12:01 AM

On an vibrating driveshaft, it isnt the seal I'd be too worried about.. it's the tailshaft bearing inside. the seal is easy to replace, but the bearing isnt. If your driveshaft is bad enough, it will slowly destroy that bearing, which in turn will eat the seal up as well if it hasnt already been.
Old 02-09-2004, 12:14 AM

like isaid i have no vibrarions soo im really too sure about anyhting at the moment...but i do know my seals are leaking..any opinions
Old 02-09-2004, 12:49 AM

like isaid i have no vibrarions soo im really too sure about anyhting at the moment...but i do know my seals are leaking..any opinions
Why don't you just replace the seal and see how it does from there. It's a pretty cheap repair.

If you want an aluminum ds later on then you can still get one. Now that I think about it I'm not sure I'd buy the one you are talking about for 100 even. The guy doesn't even know what it is from exactly. What is he even doing with it? Also the lack of info in his profile would make me leery of him. I'm not saying he's trying to rip you off, I'm just saying that if I was looking at sending someone my money it would bother me greatly. I've seen aluminum driveshafts sell for less than that here plenty of times. I don't know what it's like in NY but where I'm at in NC, I could definitely buy one cheaper than that.
Old 02-09-2004, 01:44 AM

Just replace all the seals and u-joints...and have yours balanced, you'll be better off...
Old 02-09-2004, 03:46 PM

yeah im planning on doing everything in my sig and my seals plus much more when the weather breaks....dont really want to drive my car inthe snow lol and i had to store it outside this winter with a cover on it ....i was soooo pissed but hey winter her is very close to end (hopefully) soo ill updat u on my situation later....thanks guys
Old 02-09-2004, 04:00 PM

Originally posted by 5.0THIS
On an vibrating driveshaft, it isnt the seal I'd be too worried about.. it's the tailshaft bearing inside. the seal is easy to replace, but the bearing isnt. If your driveshaft is bad enough, it will slowly destroy that bearing, which in turn will eat the seal up as well if it hasnt already been.
My stock "vibeshaft" wrecked my rear at about 20k miles back in 1998, it used to vibrate pretty bad at anything over 80-90mph. I used to run it more often at those speeds or higher and didnt really know at the time what the vibration was coming from (a few years before I discovered this site). I was running it around 100 briefly one day and started to slow down and the rear was making a horrible grinding noise. The dealer said the pinion bearing had froze up and spun inside the rear housing, definitely caused by the driveshaft vibrations. Anyway at 20k miles I got a brand new rear for free and a nice new LS1 ds
Old 02-09-2004, 11:11 PM

Originally posted by GREGG 97Z
My stock "vibeshaft" wrecked my rear at about 20k miles back in 1998, it used to vibrate pretty bad at anything over 80-90mph. I used to run it more often at those speeds or higher and didnt really know at the time what the vibration was coming from (a few years before I discovered this site). I was running it around 100 briefly one day and started to slow down and the rear was making a horrible grinding noise. The dealer said the pinion bearing had froze up and spun inside the rear housing, definitely caused by the driveshaft vibrations. Anyway at 20k miles I got a brand new rear for free and a nice new LS1 ds
man i want a free one......my problem is i was doing 80-90 consitently going to Philly PA and an occasional 130 and never felt any vibrations.....jut wondering if this could just have been ignored and got the driveshaft rrebalanced and not got the seals replaced...maybe they werent leaking at the time when he got his driveshaft balanced and only started leaking afterwards.....correct me if im wrong....there r soo many things im not really sure whats going on but minds well just end this tread im gettting the seals repalced anyways lol.....thank everybody for their imput...