LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

LT1 Airgap Intake Manifold

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2005, 09:09 PM

Re: LT1 Airgap Intake Manifold

it'll be easier to get ice in there to cool things off, too.
Old 06-07-2005, 11:01 PM

ok, just got back from the track. I usually run at Lancaster motorsports park in buffalo, ny. It is a 1/8 mile track with a concrete launch pad and I can usually get repeatable passes there.

My best Naturally Aspirated time before the intake mods was 7.78@89.65mph in excellent air 2 weeks ago.
Tonight in very humid air the car went 7.66@90.37mph with the only change being the intake. Same stock throttle body, same tune, etc.
On the spray, the previous best was 7.01@98.48mph with a 1.56 60 ft.
tonight i went 7.10@99.76 with a horrid 1.68 60ft. caused by wheel hop.

so, in crappier air I had 3/4 mph higher traps NA, and 1&1/4mph better traps on the spray. That is with no tuning changes. Next step is to install the 58mm throttle body and see if that helps any.
Old 06-07-2005, 11:30 PM

Originally Posted by nytrus1
ok, just got back from the track. I usually run at Lancaster motorsports park in buffalo, ny. It is a 1/8 mile track with a concrete launch pad and I can usually get repeatable passes there.

My best Naturally Aspirated time before the intake mods was 7.78@89.65mph in excellent air 2 weeks ago.
Tonight in very humid air the car went 7.66@90.37mph with the only change being the intake. Same stock throttle body, same tune, etc.
On the spray, the previous best was 7.01@98.48mph with a 1.56 60 ft.
tonight i went 7.10@99.76 with a horrid 1.68 60ft. caused by wheel hop.

so, in crappier air I had 3/4 mph higher traps NA, and 1&1/4mph better traps on the spray. That is with no tuning changes. Next step is to install the 58mm throttle body and see if that helps any.
Great work Paul!

yeah you should definitely check out that DA, cause it is all about the DA, yeahhhhhhh
Old 06-07-2005, 11:30 PM

Originally Posted by SStrokerAce
learn what the DA was both nights you did this and compare them then. This should give you some sort of a comparison for them.
ok, will try to find out the info. who keeps logs of this?

BTW, I just work on insulating the bottom of the intake off from the motor better now rather than doing all this work to pull the same thing off..... There a a few good tricks you can do to seal the motor and the intake off from one another to keep it cool. I like carbon fibre plates under the intakes myself, when you have them showing. Looks even better than the diamond plate, has less weight and doesn't transfer as much heat. Bret
good ideas! thanks...
Old 06-07-2005, 11:35 PM

that is one sexy intake you've got there buddy ... hmmm ... *looking for spare intake manifold* ... *can't find one* ... oh well, I can always dream
Old 06-08-2005, 01:18 AM

seriously off the top of your head?

how much would you charge one for if i were to send you a extra one?

and how much would you charge if you had to suply one?

also u are the next Loyld Elliot (heads cam)

you w/e ur name is (Intake)
Old 06-08-2005, 08:37 PM

LOL... due to the overwhelming response I am being pressured to make a few more. I am not selling anything yet and when I do, I plan on registering as a supporting member or vendor on this site.
Right now, I need to get a feel for what you guys want and what it would be worth to you. I will do another one to get a better idea of the time involved, and to see if my effort invested will be compatible with what it would be worth to you.
I could do these as the pics show with no internal porting, or with porting with a corresponding higher cost as well. Different colors?
You tell me....

After I have a better idea of what this will take, then I will offer them for sale in the appropriate fashion.

Thanks, Paul
Old 06-09-2005, 07:39 AM

Paul,

I don't know about you, but for my project like this one, I wouldn't make money off of making these… The plasma cutter might make that a different story for you though.

I know with the numbers I have figured out, if I was to go through all this again I would need to sell it for 5-6 hundred just to recoup the time invested. And that doesn't include parts and wear on tools... I have gone though a few cutting wheels for my angle grinder + a few drill bit so far and I have not even gotten to the point where I will need to weld up the small holes in the runners, valley pan, and EGR, then I still have to grind everything smooth.

BTW, Was it easier to weld the runners and grind them smooth before putting the valley pan on? It looks like that is how I am going to do it, just curious what you found..

So lets say the plasma cutter cuts your time in half, then I would think 250 - 300 in labor just building them would be good, plus what ever tools that are used that would wear out after doing one of these (grinding disks, sandpapers roll, etc.). But that means the buyer would have to provide a core and pay all shipping and still pay you >$300 to at least make you feel that you got paid for your time...
Old 06-09-2005, 09:11 AM
Banned

John, that is a great way to look at a project like this.... Labor Rate + Fix Costs + Supplies = Price
Old 06-09-2005, 09:20 AM

hey !!! what about an LT4 prototype
Old 06-09-2005, 12:32 PM

Looks pretty slick man..Defanately get that thing tuned, after the TB is installed...It could only help out your results.(More air=more fuel=more power)in theory,heh.
Old 06-09-2005, 03:03 PM

John, that is a great way to look at a project like this.... Labor Rate + Fix Costs + Supplies = Price
Yeah I started doing this project a few hours on the weekend about a month before I was talking to you about a good setup for my car, how long ago was that, 2 1/2 months ago?? Man I need to figure out what I am going to do

I am still undecided as to the route I am going to go with, but either way I know where I am getting my H/C... Next is to decide how I want to aporach everything...

I'm still debating on if I should build up NA until the stock internals go, or if I should just build a FI bottom end, and only build one system. The problem with jumping directly into FI is the money, it takes a lot of it to have a running vehicle. All the parts by themselves aren't too bad individually, but with FI you can't just do part of it now and wait to upgrade, you can't say lets get the motor and not do the fuel system, or get the turbo thats designed for a built motor you haven't built yet and expect it to last more then 2 passes. Know what I mean?
Old 06-09-2005, 03:27 PM

i have an extra intake manifold sitting in my room. i would def. pay anwhere between 300-500 for for it
Old 06-09-2005, 03:49 PM

I would definetly purchase one of these if they were to be for sale
Old 06-09-2005, 06:31 PM

Would love to see some before pictures of the underside and all that too Awsome stuff though!

Quick Reply: LT1 Airgap Intake Manifold