LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

lt1 build...need suggestions and opinions..really bad

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2010, 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by Injuneer
He didn't ask about "doing a stroker", and we don't even know whether he wants 400HP at the flywheel, or at the rear wheels.
"i want to do a nice build for street use not really much strip time just a local ball bustn car ya know..Id like to put bigger pistons in maybe 30-50 over.a nice cam,new heads and etc...im lookin to spend about 2grand on parts ill do all the work myself.... i would like you guys opinion on whats parts will go best together with my engine...im lookin for around 400hp and a nice sounding lobe."

Thats what he is asking. bore, heads, cam, 400hp, LOCAL BALL BUSTER! so he is looking for something with some *****, 400+
Old 02-08-2010, 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by Diplomat
"i want to do a nice build for street use not really much strip time just a local ball bustn car ya know..Id like to put bigger pistons in maybe 30-50 over.a nice cam,new heads and etc...im lookin to spend about 2grand on parts ill do all the work myself.... i would like you guys opinion on whats parts will go best together with my engine...im lookin for around 400hp and a nice sounding lobe."

Thats what he is asking. bore, heads, cam, 400hp, LOCAL BALL BUSTER! so he is looking for something with some *****, 400+
Still doesn't answer the stroker or 400whp/fwhp question.
Old 02-09-2010, 05:05 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Diplomat

I'm fully capable of reading and understanding what he's asking.... thank you.

In my mind, "local ball buster" is a rather vague and indeterminate term..... whatever.
Old 02-10-2010, 07:20 AM

He also said he wants to spend 2 grand for 400hp. Not going to happen with a "stroker" build unless your talking fwhp. If your talking 400rwhp your only bet on a budget is to go "all in" on the stock bottom end and toss in a healthy cam and nice ported heads. Problem there is your using crappy headers, crappy muffler, stock gears, stock tuning, stock injectors and stock transmission or clutch. So. you'll either never hit 400hp, your car will be a dog, or make the number and the have your crap explode. So now you spent $500+ on a clutch and $300 on getting gears to support that cam. Or you have a 4L60e and you spent $1500 to get that thing built and another $500 for a decent converter. Don't forget the tune and some injectors $300 more. Let's not even mention that 400hp is a waste of money if you can't hook up, so now your talking LCA's, tires, TQ arm, etc. So, now you can hook up with 400hp and you popped your 10 bolt. Add over $2000 more for a Moser 9" or 12 bolt. See how this works?

This old addage has been around here for a while: Cheap, Fast, Reliable. Pick two.

-Dustin-
Old 02-11-2010, 11:36 AM

Cool

I think everyone would agree when I say take that $2000 and go on a vacation, Bahamas, Costa Rica, etc. Now that I think about it not even a nitrous kit would work because that sotcker 4L60E will not hold 50hp over stock.

Good Transmission kit (modetare power) $1400-$2000
Set of Ported Heads (30-70hp) w/tune $1600-$2500
Nitrous Kit (30-100hp) w/tune $600-$1200
Exhaust system (20-30hp) $600-$1400
Stroker Kit (400hp) $1500-$4000
Labor to build the stroker $2000-$4000 machining, gaskets, bolts, etc.

Vacation with your girl or some random chick (5 days) Bahamas, Rio, Mexico, Costa Rica, etc. $500-$2000

Take the vacation!
Old 02-11-2010, 03:59 PM
Administrator

A quick check shows the original poster has not been back on the site since he made his first post on 2/8 at 12:21. Lacking any real understanding of what he is even asking, so far all we have doen is argue abour how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.... its really pointless without knowing what he really wants.
Old 02-11-2010, 08:38 PM

A quick check shows the original poster has not been back on the site since he made his first post on 2/8 at 12:21. Lacking any real understanding of what he is even asking, so far all we have doen is argue abour how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.... its really pointless without knowing what he really wants.
LOL, Yeah never thought of it that way! But its still fun, thanks for the trans help!
Old 02-14-2010, 12:27 PM

It seems no one looks at the new combo of edelbrock. They will give you around three seventy five to four hundred horse power with the head and cam package. But youll need a few other things to get there. First of youll need a 2800 stall converter for an automatic, nice headers, nice exhaust system, cold air kit, jet chips mass air flow sensor to start off with before the head and cam package. The package im talking about is the Edelbrock Lt-1 performer package - The Equalizer. If you go to popular hot rodding.com they will have an article telling you everything youll need to buy. Along with the power youll get you will still get good gas mileage around twenty three on the highway. I upgraded to the 3.23 rearend unit which has helped my takeoff without killing my economy you should read the article and decide for yourself. Only you know what you want in the end.
Old 02-14-2010, 08:52 PM
Administrator

The Edelbrock combos (170 or 195cc heads) can produce 375-400HP at the flywheel. A rework of the stock heads and intake, and a matching cam from Lloyd Elliott or Advanced Induction, for 2/3 the cost of the Edelbrock package will net you 400+ HP AT THE REAR WHEELS. That's why no one looks at the Edelbrock package. The cam is weak, the heads do not flow what LE or AI can get out of the stock heads, and the "air gap" manifold, with its significantly reduced plenum volume has been shown to produce no more HP than a stock LT1 intake.
Old 02-15-2010, 09:23 PM

The Edelbrock combos (170 or 195cc heads) can produce 375-400HP at the flywheel. A rework of the stock heads and intake, and a matching cam from Lloyd Elliott or Advanced Induction, for 2/3 the cost of the Edelbrock package will net you 400+ HP AT THE REAR WHEELS. That's why no one looks at the Edelbrock package. The cam is weak, the heads do not flow what LE or AI can get out of the stock heads, and the "air gap" manifold, with its significantly reduced plenum volume has been shown to produce no more HP than a stock LT1 intake.
DUDE WHERE WERE YOU WHEN I BOUGHT MINE!!!??? LOL! Edelbrock is made for old time folk. It’s for minor mods and some extreme. I agree you can't really even think of doing such upgrades if you’re using 100K miles stock internals. Plus with bumping that much hp over stock your transmission isn’t going to hold it. $2000 budget isn’t realistic but I do like his motivation to bring out more of the beast out of him Camaro!
Old 02-20-2010, 06:15 AM

Hey guys i wish i would have had this website a year ago before i upgraded mine. Your right i have around three seventy five to four hundred horses at the flywheel but it did cost quite a penny. They got that 2300 cost estimate from the fact that the camaro they upgraded already had everything else upgraded as well. It cost me acound seven thousand in the end i had to buy a vigilante torque converter 2800 stall, new monster transmission and i went ahead and upgraded the rearend. I do like it though i get plenty of power for a daily driver and the gas milage is still good. So yeah your right the 2300 dollars cost estimate they said was way out there for a stock camaro. The only reason i even got out that cheap was the fact that i put everything on myself. I didnt know what exactly the guy was wanting and what mods he had already accomplished. Thanks guys