LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

LT1 Cam Question

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2005, 03:17 PM

LT1 Cam Question

i just bought a Cam for my Car.. it is a .525 lift, and i was wondering what head setup i would want for best performance...maybe a 2.02 1.60? what size injectors will i need? and also, who could i get to Flash my ECU? it is a 1993 Z, and what for increase on power will i see?
Old 10-01-2005, 02:54 PM

Re: LT1 Cam Question

ttt
Old 10-01-2005, 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by 1993Fast_Z
i just bought a Cam for my Car.. it is a .525 lift, and i was wondering what head setup i would want for best performance...maybe a 2.02 1.60? what size injectors will i need? and also, who could i get to Flash my ECU? it is a 1993 Z, and what for increase on power will i see?
Just knowing the lift doesn't tell enough about a cam to answer your questions. Almost any cam swap requires additional parts that need changing. Also, just changing a cam doesn't guarantee an increase in power or performance. Neither does just increasing the valve size. It needs to be the right cam for your application, and the head needs to have ports which can use the larger valves.

You might want to do a head and cam package to increase your power. Search for LE1, LE2 and LE3 and you'll get plenty of info.

Good luck.
Old 10-01-2005, 09:58 PM

ok, i will have the specs on here soon (i have to find the Grind Paper)...anyways, i have a local machine shop that is going to port the heads and do a valve job...do you think that they would know what for head specs i would need to make this cam run good? def. replacing Lifters, Springs, Pushrods, etc. but the Duration is .219 intake .219 exh. - 112 Lash, thats all i can remember...hopefully i can make this cam run good...if i were to call Lloyd, do u think he could help me figure out what port #'s i should use? any help would be nice, for i dont know to much about Top end when it comes to #'s...thanks
Old 10-02-2005, 06:53 AM

Maybe our mystery cam is the little old hotcam, but get the specs anyway.
Old 10-02-2005, 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by 1993Fast_Z
ok, i will have the specs on here soon (i have to find the Grind Paper)...anyways, i have a local machine shop that is going to port the heads and do a valve job...do you think that they would know what for head specs i would need to make this cam run good? def. replacing Lifters, Springs, Pushrods, etc. but the Duration is .219 intake .219 exh. - 112 Lash, thats all i can remember...hopefully i can make this cam run good...if i were to call Lloyd, do u think he could help me figure out what port #'s i should use? any help would be nice, for i dont know to much about Top end when it comes to #'s...thanks
IMO, the cam is the last thing to choose in designing an engine, not the first. Don't try to match the head flow to the cam, match the cam to the head flow and all the other engine and vehicle parameters. There's an old saying something about putting the cart in front of the horse that comes to mind.

No, I don't think the average local machine shop would know what to do unless they are a sucessful race shop which ports their own heads. Because porting is so special, many engine builders have their porting done by an expert.

If you mean to ask Lloyd what should be done to your heads by someone other than himself, you are expecting a lot. Head porters make their living by selling their handiwork. Giving away the info doesn't do a lot for the bottom line. The specs on the cams Lloyd sells with his heads are another item that isn't given away, and has generated considerable discussion.

If you "dont know to much about Top end when it comes to #'s", you are wise to admit that...many folks won't admit to themselves that they don't know. You'll be way ahead on power if you use your heads as cores for a head and cam package instead of trying to DIY. Hey, sell the cam on ebay. You might make a profit!

If I sound like an ad for Lloyd, it's mainly because his stuff works. There are others who do similar stuff, but I am more familiar with his work. Look around.

My $.02