LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

LT1 distributor question

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2007, 09:30 PM

LT1 distributor question

i have a 96 lt1 longblock in my 32 chevy running on a 93 harness and computer.

do the distributors change much from 93 to 96 internally, like the optispark.

could the 96 distributor be sending a bum signal to the 93 computer is what im asking and if so how would you go about fixing that since the cam on the 96 engine interferes with the 93 distributor.

any help is much appreciated
Old 09-07-2007, 05:35 AM
Administrator

The unvented models (92-94) are arranged slightly differently internally than the vented models (95-97). But the function and performance of the optical module is identical for all years, and the 93 PCM should run correctly with any Opti. The harness connectors are differnt also, so you need to make sure you have the correct one to attach to the 96 Opti. The 93 harness connector would not fit right.
Old 09-07-2007, 06:47 AM
Banned

You also need the correct camshaft.(Pin)

David
Old 09-07-2007, 07:38 AM

the thing is we have the 93 harness plugged into the 96 opti. if teh connectors are different then what have we done.

are there adapter harnesses for this kind of situation?
Old 09-07-2007, 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by iceman117
the thing is we have the 93 harness plugged into the 96 opti. if teh connectors are different then what have we done.

are there adapter harnesses for this kind of situation?
Your engine may have come with the opti harness attached and the should work with the 93 harness/computer. You may have a bad opti.

Do a google search with "LT1 and 12130319" 12130319 is the 95 opti harness and I'm sure the 96-97 is close, if not the same. The only difference I know of between 95 and 96 is OBDI vs OBD II so the 96 has a crank position sensor so the there's a reluctor behind the damper hub but the OPTI is the same and with the 12130319 harness you should be in business.

good luck!

MIke

Last edited by aboatguy; 09-07-2007 at 07:59 AM.
Old 09-07-2007, 12:17 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by FASTFATBOY
You also need the correct camshaft.(Pin)

David
He has a 96/97 Opti on a 96/97 camshaft. He is asking if there is an electrical difference between the vented and unvented Optis, that would affect the way his engine runs.
Old 09-07-2007, 12:53 PM

correct injuneer, we have changed everything including TWO MSD units that chewed themelves to peices.

are both 93 and 96 ICMs teh same also. i remember changing a bad coil but not the ICM.

Last edited by iceman117; 09-07-2007 at 12:57 PM.
Old 09-07-2007, 02:09 PM

correct injuneer, we have changed everything including TWO MSD units that chewed themelves to peices.

are both 93 and 96 ICMs teh same also. i remember changing a bad coil but not the ICM.
Are you saying two MSD "Opti distributors" chewed themselves to pieces? If so, can you be more detailed on exactly what when wrong with the distributor?

Here is a schematic diagram of the ignition system including the Opti.

WD

Old 09-07-2007, 05:29 PM
Administrator

Probably should have posted that up front.
Old 09-07-2007, 09:00 PM

ya i should have posted that a little earlier, my bad. but the distributors had the rotors chew up the inside of the cap pretty bad. but our OEM units did just fine.

when we installed the cap on the MSD distributor before install, the rotor spun fine and freely with no binding what so ever. when we installed it on the car and it would skip like crazy, then we took the first one off and seen the black dust that the rotor had taken off of the cap. we sent it back to msd for warranty and installed it a second time... did the same thing. i have some pictures i can get up tmmrw if anyone would like to see the cap.

again the OEM distributors we installed work fine and we've installed them 2 or 3 times now checking to see if we screwed something up.

i just ordered an ignition control module, itll be in monday, so we will see what happens with that.
Old 09-08-2007, 06:22 AM

ya i should have posted that a little earlier, my bad. but the distributors had the rotors chew up the inside of the cap pretty bad. but our OEM units did just fine.

when we installed the cap on the MSD distributor before install, the rotor spun fine and freely with no binding what so ever. when we installed it on the car and it would skip like crazy, then we took the first one off and seen the black dust that the rotor had taken off of the cap. we sent it back to msd for warranty and installed it a second time... did the same thing. i have some pictures i can get up tmmrw if anyone would like to see the cap.

again the OEM distributors we installed work fine and we've installed them 2 or 3 times now checking to see if we screwed something up.

i just ordered an ignition control module, itll be in monday, so we will see what happens with that.
Use the new square O-ring gasket from MSD for the cap and you won't have the problem with the rotor rubbing the back-plate.

WD
Old 09-08-2007, 12:32 PM

lil too late now... they never mentioned it the first time and now its out of warranty.

im just gunna stick with my OE unti and msd cap and rotor it.

hopefully an ICM will fix it. we've replaced everything, and what do you know, it could be something as dumb as an ignition controller.
Old 09-08-2007, 12:37 PM

lil too late now... they never mentioned it the first time and now its out of warranty.
sure they did, it was right in the directions for installing

and i dont believe you ever stated what your actuall problem with the car was

Last edited by dangalla; 09-08-2007 at 01:27 PM. Reason: fixed quote
Old 09-08-2007, 01:04 PM
sbs

Originally Posted by dangalla
and i dont believe you ever stated what your actuall problem with the car was
Don't go spoiling everything. It's fun to see all the random diagnoses of undescribed problems...
Old 09-08-2007, 01:29 PM

i have a 96 lt1 longblock in my 32 chevy running on a 93 harness and computer.

do the distributors change much from 93 to 96 internally, like the optispark.

could the 96 distributor be sending a bum signal to the 93 computer is what im asking and if so how would you go about fixing that since the cam on the 96 engine interferes with the 93 distributor.

any help is much appreciated

we are in a process of trying to find out why our new engine is skipping. like i said earlier we have changed everything we could think of and it still does the same thing... skip at low rpm and clear up a little at higher rpm.

i thought it was out distributor connector or the interference of years.

then researching info on the opti, i stumbled upon some info on the ICM which im asking about now.

not for nothing guys but if u dont want to help or give any input or think im completely incompitent please dont post anything.

i appreciate the people who do help with all the great info, even if its not what the problem is they take the time to put their .02 cents in to help me along.

Quick Reply: LT1 distributor question