LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

LT1 Dyno Results

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2007, 12:15 PM

CA Emmissions Comment

First, very nice numbers. Second, emmissions is a tricky topic and very state
specific. I'm fairly certian based on my personal experience that anything more
than a hot cam would not pass in a 350 in CA unless you were playing tricks.

Relocating cats, or any modification that relocates the cats (i.e. longtubes) is
technically illegal and therefore a no pass. Although I have cast iron manifolds,
I have also relocated the cats, but so far this has not been an issue for me and
I don't have a special shop that signs me off. One thing I have to do is swap
the OBDII back in the car. But other than that I don't change anything for smog
and barely pass.

To pass in CA with a hotcam or equivalent or slightly larger I'm convinced that you
must do some tweaking before hand. Like changing to a hotter thermostat, or
running some methanol, having a special smog tune, etc.

Edited to add that in CA there is a two part dyno test with the sniffer in additon
to the OBDII test. So you would never pass w/o cats. You should keep you fingers
crossed that Ohio does not implement the OBDII dyno test.

Last edited by truedualws6; 03-16-2007 at 02:19 PM.
Old 03-16-2007, 01:31 PM

Ohio has a very tough emissions standards. They are similar (if not the same) as CA's.
If your car is OBD-II, then I can get ANY cam to pass e-check. How is this possible? Easy, Ohio does not dyno OBD-II cars. So as long as the tune compensates for removed emissions components (EGR, Rear o2's, ect...) there will not be an SES light. So when the tech plugs in the scanner it will not show any codes. Then all you need is a properly functioning gas cap, and hollow cats to pass the visual part. So I guess my SR 355 is also emissions legal .

Judging by this case, the car is OBD-I so it would go on the rollers and get the sniffer if it where an Ohio car. I don't know if this car passed a sniffer test, because the original poster did not mention it. It was only STATED that the cam was emissions friendly. That's probably the reason for the speculation.

I didn't have to do any of the above because ohio has a collector car policy.
If you are granted 'collectors plates' you don't have to get the car e-checked. It's not legal to remove emissions components, but they will not check. It's a cool deal.

95Z28ConvtM6: Judging by your post count you are a new member, welcome to the board. Your car made some decent power, you should be happy with the dyno sheet. Get it to the track and get some times out of it. Hopefully you will get the results you wanted. Don't be dissapointed if it does not run the number you wanted fresh off the trailer, it's going to take some tuning and time to get it just right. Good luck.
Old 03-16-2007, 01:57 PM
Banned

Old 03-16-2007, 03:45 PM

In NJ I only have to pass a sniffer test on the rollers. No underhood inspection, etc. I'm sure it would not be CA friendly.

Last edited by 95Z28ConvtM6; 03-16-2007 at 03:46 PM. Reason: edit
Old 03-16-2007, 11:00 PM

Don't worry, every reasonable person here understood what you said perfectly. Nice numbers for being sniffer limited.
Old 06-29-2007, 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by 526 SS 96
Ohio has a very tough emissions standards. They are similar (if not the same) as CA's.
If your car is OBD-II, then I can get ANY cam to pass e-check. How is this possible? Easy, Ohio does not dyno OBD-II cars. So as long as the tune compensates for removed emissions components (EGR, Rear o2's, ect...) there will not be an SES light. So when the tech plugs in the scanner it will not show any codes. Then all you need is a properly functioning gas cap, and hollow cats to pass the visual part. So I guess my SR 355 is also emissions legal .

Judging by this case, the car is OBD-I so it would go on the rollers and get the sniffer if it where an Ohio car. I don't know if this car passed a sniffer test, because the original poster did not mention it. It was only STATED that the cam was emissions friendly. That's probably the reason for the speculation.

I didn't have to do any of the above because ohio has a collector car policy.
If you are granted 'collectors plates' you don't have to get the car e-checked. It's not legal to remove emissions components, but they will not check. It's a cool deal.

95Z28ConvtM6: Judging by your post count you are a new member, welcome to the board. Your car made some decent power, you should be happy with the dyno sheet. Get it to the track and get some times out of it. Hopefully you will get the results you wanted. Don't be dissapointed if it does not run the number you wanted fresh off the trailer, it's going to take some tuning and time to get it just right. Good luck.
My car has never been checked for emissions or anything. I think its county by county.

-Dustin-
Old 06-29-2007, 08:01 PM

It's been awhile... any track times?

Originally Posted by Bersaglieri
My car has never been checked for emissions or anything. I think its county by county.

-Dustin-
Emissions testing is state mandated so yes those states can decide which counties use e-check practices.
Old 06-29-2007, 08:55 PM

Mids 12's at 114.6 (2.11 60ft) on Michelin Pilots, full exhaust and a 3750lb race weight. I am very pleased with the results, especially since I couldn't put it to the floor until 3rd gear. I now have a set of DR's and a little suspension work but haven't been back to yet.
Old 06-29-2007, 09:09 PM

You and I have very similar setups, but I have the LE 1.5 cam and the LE ported intake with "illegal" exhaust. I cant wait to hit the dyno. Great numbers.
Old 06-29-2007, 09:11 PM

LOL - I think I replied to your post on LS1tech

Thanks!