LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

LT1 Edit, PCMforless, or Dyno tune for LT4 Hotcam tune?????

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2003, 01:41 PM

LT1 Edit, PCMforless, or Dyno tune for LT4 Hotcam tune?????

I need to know which tune to get for my LT4 hotcam. The mods are in my list. Which is best, LT1 edit, PCMforless, or i have the option of taking it to a performance shop to get a dyno tune. What do yall think??? Will i be ok for a while without the tune?? I know there is power to be gained by the tune i just need to save some money.. Thanks

Chris
Old 03-20-2003, 02:01 PM

If you are picky about drive ability, then I would say to get a dyno tune. The tuner should be able to get things spot on when they actually have the car and data in front of them...

Jason
Old 03-20-2003, 02:16 PM

This may sound stupid but from what i can understand is that all of these do the same thing except some might just be more exact???? If so i will go ahead and do the dyno tune. Thanks

Chris
Old 03-20-2003, 02:27 PM

I think the dyno tune is the most accurate and would probably suit you best. Matter of fact, I'm suprised you haven't done that sooner with all the mods you have listed.
Old 03-20-2003, 02:33 PM

I think the dyno tune is the most accurate and would probably suit you best. Matter of fact, I'm suprised you haven't done that sooner with all the mods you have listed.

Yeah i was probably due a dyno tune anyways but now i really do need one i guess. I get my car back on tuesday. I just hope it drives good till i can get the tune. When i did a search i saw that some people have rough idles and crappy power until they get it tuned. Is this true? Or is it car specific?? Thanks.

Chris
Old 03-20-2003, 02:40 PM

I'm not sure about the rough idle/crappy power. I wouldn't expect you'd have any problems driving it until the tune--but I do think you'll be able to notice the difference. Even people that get the Hypertech notice a difference and that's nowhere near having your vehicle dyno tuned.
Old 03-20-2003, 02:44 PM

If money isnt an problem, go all out and get it done the right way- Dynotune.

If you do decide to go the mail order tune route, also think about www.madz28.com hes a sponsor here and a great guy. Great prices too!
Old 03-20-2003, 02:59 PM

dyno tunes are best suited for WOT tuning where you can actually change A/F ratios. i think you should get a mail order tune for part throttle driving and then get your max power tune from a dyno tuner. in closed loop being on a dyno will just waste your money since you can get the same results on the street.
Old 03-20-2003, 03:37 PM

For the money PCMforless is excellent and if you are OBD1 it's only $99. He just reprogrammed mine for the HC and it's running great now. I hear he really has the HC tune nailed, I'm happy with it
Old 03-20-2003, 03:53 PM

FYI I am going with PCMForLess because...

1. I'm not comfortable programming my PCM yet.

2. It allows you greater flexibility as far as if you want to make additional modifications for your vehicle.

I beleive he also does a dyno tune, although I think it states somewhere on his website he doesn't care to do that via email.
Old 03-20-2003, 04:04 PM

Originally posted by Bastardcat
I beleive he also does a dyno tune, although I think it states somewhere on his website he doesn't care to do that via email.
Yeah, that could get a little tricky by email
Old 03-20-2003, 04:13 PM

Yeah, that could get a little tricky by email
Under the FAQ section of PCMForLess it says:

"I do not like to tune Supercharged or Turbo cars through the mail, but if you have a scantool and monitor your engine and have the right setup I can do this. I also can dyno tune these cars as well. Email me with your particular setup and I will see if I can help you out."

I had assumed he was talking about doing the dyno tune off the scantool file--even though this is not a "true" dyno tune. Am I reading this wrong?

Last edited by Bastardcat; 03-20-2003 at 05:26 PM.
Old 03-20-2003, 07:01 PM

Originally posted by Bastardcat
Under the FAQ section of PCMForLess it says:

"I do not like to tune Supercharged or Turbo cars through the mail, but if you have a scantool and monitor your engine and have the right setup I can do this. I also can dyno tune these cars as well. Email me with your particular setup and I will see if I can help you out."

I had assumed he was talking about doing the dyno tune off the scantool file--even though this is not a "true" dyno tune. Am I reading this wrong?

He is, and does this quite a bit for the Impala SS croud. It is in fact a better tune. It is a street tune. Dyno tunes are basically to set the AFR. Scantool tuning tunes many, many variables. Tranny, motor, pcm. You can't beat his deal and customer sevice.

Mav
Old 03-20-2003, 07:10 PM

He is, and does this quite a bit for the Impala SS croud. It is in fact a better tune. It is a street tune. Dyno tunes are basically to set the AFR. Scantool tuning tunes many, many variables. Tranny, motor, pcm.

Thanks for clearing this up for me Mav, I thought maybe I had missed something.
Old 03-21-2003, 12:47 PM

I need to bump up my rev imiter right? Can the place that does the dyno tune also do stuff like that? I am guessing yes. I should probably just ask the guy.

Chris

Quick Reply: LT1 Edit, PCMforless, or Dyno tune for LT4 Hotcam tune?????