LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

LT1 Engine lifting plate

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2013, 07:54 PM

LT1 Engine lifting plate

After several searches, I noticed a lot of people using the Happy Hooker lifting plate that bolts to the fuel rail hold down bolts. I built a plate that mounts to the 4 bolts for the t/b opening on the manifold. This would be coupled with attaching points on the bellhousing bolts (no trans or bellhousing) Any reason this wouldn't work?
Old 02-15-2013, 10:07 PM

Re: LT1 Engine lifting plate

You might want to incorporate a load leveling device. I think part of the allure of the HH is that it gives a good center of gravity for maneuvering. Though the TB bolts are bigger, I would be a little concerned about pulling on them at a right angle to the weight. Of course, I thought the little fuel rail bolts were scary.

Last edited by shoebox; 02-15-2013 at 10:09 PM.
Old 02-16-2013, 09:27 AM

Thanks Rob. I plan on using a leveler between the T/B plate and the chain from the bellhousing bolts. This way I pull straight up on the T/B bolst. I was just curious if there was a reason not to do it like this. I like the idea of one plate pulling straight up like the HH, just scared of those ity bity bolts but it seems to work. Appreciate the quick reply.
Old 02-16-2013, 11:46 AM

Not sure if you are aware but the bolts that come with the hh are are necked up so the part that threads into intake is the same size as the fuel rail bolt but the neck and head of the bolt is larger. What is scary is when you get your new ported intake and find one of the holes has been helicoiled and is stripped out. I pulled motor and tranny out with it so kinda need to go back in with motor and tranny. I drilled out the stripped hole and tapped it to accept a threaded insert. Everything held to go back in. Next time I went out the bottom but used the hh to lift motor and tranny off kmember to change the oil pan. The balance and ability to pivot and twist is pretty nice with the hh and you dont need a leveler. I had to pick from passenger side of car to have enough length so was working hoist around the car too. Might be able to build off the hooker (cant quite recall its placement) to grab another location or two.