LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

LT1 engine mount problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2006, 11:54 PM

LT1 engine mount problem

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Don't know if this is the right spot for this or not. Didn't see a conversion forum.

I'm going to be putting a 95 LT1 from a Caprice into my 73 firebird. Today I found that the stationary metal mounts on the block are not square. The drivers side mount is about three inches back from the face of the block and the pass side is about 5 inches back from the face of the block. This makes the motor sit very croked in the engine bay. Are there some conversion mounts I need or do I need to grab the metal stationary mounts from an f-body. The replaceable mounts that are on the frame are new replacement units for a b-body and bolted right up to my stock 73 firebird frame. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 10-02-2006, 03:39 PM

Re: LT1 engine mount problem

I'm doing a streetrod using an LT1 and I'm using 69 camaro (I think that's what I told the parts guy) motor mounts. My best guess is that you'd be best getting plain old SBC mounts for a 73 Camaro (or Firebird if they came with an SBC). Hopefully someone more knowledgeable will respond with something better than a guess.
Old 10-02-2006, 06:26 PM

Re: LT1 engine mount problem

the clamshell mounts can be removed (3 bolts hold them to the block)
and they can be repositioned to either the 3 inch back or the 5 inch back position depending on which suits your needs

one clam shell will end up "upside down", i'm sure its not difficult to locate a clamshell mount with the proper orientation for your need

one thing to note
the pass side mount that is 5 inches back
if placed 3 inches back it probably will interfere with the ac compressor
since most of use dont use a/c anyway, you'll need an a/c delete pulley to allow the serpentine belt to run properly