LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

LT1 high RPM popping sound???

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2007, 12:38 PM

LT1 high RPM popping sound???

Quick question. Just recently I have been getting a high RPM popping sound with a total loss of power. The car just falls flat on its face. Drives great right up until about 3/4 throttle, but around 5K RPM or more it starts to make this horrible popping sound and loses power. Just started about a week ago. I first noticed it on the interstate at about 100mph and 5,300rpm. I then tried a quick wot launch from a light and same thing above 5,000rpm.
Had plugs changed this spring.
The car runs perfect right up until the popping sound starts.
Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
JCS
Old 07-31-2007, 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by Jeremy95LT1Form
Quick question. Just recently I have been getting a high RPM popping sound with a total loss of power. The car just falls flat on its face. Drives great right up until about 3/4 throttle, but around 5K RPM or more it starts to make this horrible popping sound and loses power. Just started about a week ago. I first noticed it on the interstate at about 100mph and 5,300rpm. I then tried a quick wot launch from a light and same thing above 5,000rpm.
Had plugs changed this spring.
The car runs perfect right up until the popping sound starts.
Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
JCS
Can I be the first one to say opti this time, huh guys?
Old 07-31-2007, 01:06 PM

I thought it might be the opti, but was hoping it was something easier. Like plug wires, fuel filter, ignition coil.

If it is the opti should I just get a OEM GM replacement or go with one of the newer options? I'm just using it for street use. I guess if the stock one lasted 96k then it's probably not all that bad.

JCS
Old 07-31-2007, 01:22 PM

I havent made an opti last more than my stock one that lasted about 50k miles? It seems more mods = shorter life span... who woulda thought..

I would not say that it is opti yet, when the opti is really going you will notice a bouncing idle, and popping throughout the RPM range. High RPMs to me seems like either fuel or spark. I would check those as well.
Old 07-31-2007, 01:31 PM

There are other things that will cause your problem. I just wanted to mention the opti because it is a very good possablity, and guys always quick to throw that out there first thing. Have you changed your fuel filter lately? Or how old are the wires? You might want to put a fuel pressure gauge on it and check it at WOT. As was mentioned, there are a few things you could check first, changing out the opti isn't very high on my fun things to do list.
Old 07-31-2007, 11:48 PM

I'm gonna try a few things before I go for the opti. The plugs are new. Wires probably original, 96k ago. Fuel filter could probably use replacing. Think I had it done last summer, new one couldnt hurt. On Wednesday I'm gonna change the wires, coil, and fuel filter. If that doesn't work, not sure what else besides the opti. Car runs great up until almost redline. Any other ideas.

could it have anything to do with my recent install of the SLP loudmouth II? All I did was change the resonator to the LM2 muffler. Would an exhaust leak cause a high RPM miss? Is it possible the higher backpressure at high RPM's would cause a leak?

Thanks for any help.
Old 08-17-2007, 07:22 AM

Fixed it

Replaced the coil and wires with MSD stuff and I guess one of those two things was the problem. The plug wires were a real headache to replace. Had to take off about half the accesories to finish the job. 4 hours later. Plus the coil wasnt that much fun either. Only question. I couldn't get the wire to fit from the opti to the coil? So I still have it in the box and am using the stock wire for now. Either way it runs great now. No more high RPM popping. Pulls right up until redline. I guess the opti is going to hang in there for a while longer. 97K so far.
Thanks.