LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Lt1 intake porting

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2005, 10:54 PM

Re: Lt1 intake porting

ok, so when i go to port it myself.............i shouldnt touch the ports next to the heads???

i saw where someone stated earlier that it would actually hurt me if they were more than gasket matched......which thats all i would port them too anyways.
Old 12-15-2005, 08:50 AM

dremel or Standard Abbrasives makes a porting kit with all the bits you'll need. it looks like someone hogged out a bit of material already. I'd just used the rough polishing bits and smooth out the lines a bit. don't really remove any material just flatten up the walls and correct the size of the TB holes. I think the full porting kit is like $30 from Summitracing.com
Old 12-15-2005, 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by Mean Green
dremel or Standard Abbrasives makes a porting kit with all the bits you'll need. it looks like someone hogged out a bit of material already. I'd just used the rough polishing bits and smooth out the lines a bit. don't really remove any material just flatten up the walls and correct the size of the TB holes. I think the full porting kit is like $30 from Summitracing.com

yeah thats all i was planning on doing. Was just smoothing out the TB holes and if they werent already ported for a 58mm tb then i would do that too.

Also i am going to gasket match the runners. Didnt have anything else planned.
Old 12-15-2005, 11:57 AM

You match the intake to the heads... not the gaskets. Now if your heads are ported and gasket matched then it would be alright to gasket match the intake. But just take a moment and visualize the scenario you could be creating with an intake port LARGER than the intake runners of the heads. You want air to have the smoothest flow and transitions possible and overlapping ports create tons of turbulance. Its just not the best idea if you want to make the most power possible with your setup is all Im saying.

Last edited by turbo_Z; 12-15-2005 at 12:02 PM.
Old 12-15-2005, 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by turbo_Z
You match the intake to the heads... not the gaskets. Now if your heads are ported and gasket matched then it would be alright to gasket match the intake. But just take a moment and visualize the scenario you could be creating with an intake port LARGER than the intake runners of the heads. You want air to have the smoothest flow and transitions possible and overlapping ports create tons of turbulance. Its just not the best idea if you want to make the most power possible with your setup is all Im saying.

yes i do see what you're saying............i have stock heads, and in light of seeing that i wont be porting them any larger than the heads. (even if that means they are not gasket matched........)

Thanks, guys

Scott
Old 12-16-2005, 09:44 PM

I have a heavily ported/welded LT1 intake with stock heads and my car seems to run just fine. There is metal added above the injector bosses to allow the "roof" of the runner to be ground out making it a straight shot from the intake plenum to the intake port on the head. I guarantee the intake ports are quite a bit larger on the intake than on the heads. I'm sure I will see a HP advantage when I get heads. I really don't think it is hurting me now though.
Old 12-16-2005, 10:34 PM

I wouldn't remove anything more that casting belmishes without talking to an experienced LT1 porter. I was recently told that when porting LT1 intakes, that it's ok to port the top/bottom and insides of the runner chamber opening but you should not port the outside wall of the openings. It can cause air flow interuptions/obsticals. Just something to think about.