LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

LT1 or LS1?

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2005, 06:19 PM

Re: LT1 or LS1?

Ok Look.. so say if ANY of you guys on the board has a 1994 CAMARO Z28 (LT1) . Would you trade it for any LS1 Camaro? Honest truth ? Because i will try to invest in an LS1 if it would be the better deal. cus i read dat LT1 is 275 HP Stock and LS1 is 310 Stock. I guess theres a diffrence right?? but some people say LT1 is so bad ***. but i just wanna know the facts thats all! thanks everybody!
Old 06-07-2005, 06:19 PM

The automatic transmission in our cars is very strong. It can handle a lot of abuse before it goes. A tranny dying is usually due to fluids not getting changed regularily or the tranny overheating.
The rebuild price of 1500 seems way overpriced to me. Mine was rebuilt after 160,000km (failed because the system over heated during an air care test=p). It cost me $800 canadian to rebuild it to stock. It's held up great ever since and I beat on it every single day
Old 06-07-2005, 06:32 PM

You live in LA and actually get compliments on an LT1? Thats usually an area where I always hear about the LT1 getting bashed about being outdated and the LS1 being the god send as with most places just moreso in the metropolitan areas. As far as trading my LT1 for an LS1 if It were me. No, I wouldn't. I love them all, but if I have an LS1 I will have an LT1 right beside it because I love the LT1, I love the sound, I love the low end grunt in a 6 speed, I love the motor period. It may be outdated, it may have a ****ty distributor design, but its still a motor that struck my fancy and led me into the fbody world. I used to be a mustang guy, now I can't stand mustangs for the most part, I still respect them, and do like the cobras and mach's but for the most part I like to terrorize them when I see them. I also have this desire to smash as many LS1 drivers as possible around here because they are all as cocky as you can get. I'd love to have an LS1 in the future, but if it meant giving up my LT1, I wouldn't do it. Thats just me though, everyone is different.

EDIT: on a side note, just so you know this isn't blind opinion. I have driven 3 LS1's so far, I have 3 buddies with them. I've driven a 6 speed 02 firehawk, 00 A4 SS and 98 A4 TA. The 98 trans am with the auto and 2.73 gear felt like a dog, And I have and do kick its *** regularly with my limited mods right now. Now the 00 SS was a early journey for me, as it was the very first LS1 I'd ever rode in let alone drive back in 00 when he first picked it up, and it blew me away I could not believe the difference in the way that car felt compared to the mustangs and LT1's I was accustomed too. For some reason that car just seemed too fast to be real back then. Then I rode in and drove my buddies 2002 M6 firehawk and all I can say is W W. For a stock car that thing hauls ***. I couldn't believe it then either and this was just a year and a half or so ago that I first experienced it. Definatly potent from the factory, he dynoed 321 rwhp and 333 ft lbs and ran 13.1@109 trapped a 110 with a slightly higher ET (13.3-4ish, bad 60) on a cooler day, stock as a rock. Amazing car, but would I trade my LT1 for one.... no.

Last edited by Feenix; 06-07-2005 at 06:43 PM.
Old 06-07-2005, 06:49 PM

LS1!

I eat em' for lunch. Mmm, mmm good... but not quite as good as roasted Viper. Tastes like chicken.

-Mindgame
Old 03-23-2011, 10:45 AM

i have justin algiers camaro i have the insurance stuff to poove it it is a red 95 z28 and now has centerline radial t/a's 7 in front 12 in back i have an lt1 bigger cam and bigger injectors, automatic tranny with shift kit with 3.73 rear end with posi, its not crazy fast but the car will run ive had ls1 and lt1 i perfer the lt1,
Old 03-23-2011, 02:25 PM

The stigma that surrounds the lt1 is primarily due to the opti-spark distributor system. Other than that they are very solid motors. With a budget you really have no choice but to stay with the lt1 or u will prolly spend 3 grand for the swap to ls1 and u can make a monster out of an lt1 for less than that. If you do some shopping around and do the installations yourself you could potentally push around 400 to the flywheel for around 1500 bucks or so. I like the lt1, and it's a great feeling hammering on ls1 guys that give the lt1 ZERO respect. There is somethin about sending a cocky *** ls1 kid back to the drawing board that just makes me feel good
Old 03-23-2011, 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by ibringdarukus
Ok Look.. so say if ANY of you guys on the board has a 1994 CAMARO Z28 (LT1) . Would you trade it for any LS1 Camaro? Honest truth ? Because i will try to invest in an LS1 if it would be the better deal. cus i read dat LT1 is 275 HP Stock and LS1 is 310 Stock. I guess theres a diffrence right?? but some people say LT1 is so bad ***. but i just wanna know the facts thats all! thanks everybody!
Would I buy an LS1 car if the right opportunity presented itself? Absolutely. I've heard good things about them, obviously a more modern/powerful engine design, lighter, faster, etc. Would I trade my '95 z28 for one? Absolutely not, and even if it were an even trade. Sounds crazy I know but it's true. You work on a car yourself and you make a connection with it. I'd be trading/selling my car, along with all the work I've done on it/to it, the blood, sweat, tears, busted knuckles, cold nights laying in the driveway in antifreeze, oil, you name it, lol. I'm 37 now...in the past, mostly when I was between 17 & 22, I owned a '79 berlinetta, an '80 z28, an '81 camaro that was a 6 cyl from the factory but had an early '70's 350 in it when I bought it, and an '81 capri gt (mustang, more or less) with the 5.0 HO 4 spd. Gotta say out of all those, the LT1 sounds WAY better and has more grunt from 0-30 than any of those had. Understand too that the only real "mods" i have on my '95 are k&n cai and magnaflow exhaust. I've ridden in two LS1 cars (to be fair, never actually drove one) and sure, they're plenty fast, but compared to the LT1 it almost seems like something's missing...the rawness maybe? I think the lt1 reminds me of the way the older cars used to sound and feel like.. more than the newer generation engines do. LT1 all the way!!!!!!!!!

BTW..the above is an opinion...my opinion. You'll get a lot of that here along with the helpful (very helpful) advice. It's up to you to determine which is which.
Old 03-23-2011, 05:04 PM

And don't let all the optispark horror stories scare you off. The first time you have to change one out you'll create your own swear words. After that, you'll be able to do it in a few hours, and that's if you EVER even have to replace it. And of course, you can always switch to the ls1 style ignition and have the best of both worlds..again, my opinion.
Old 03-23-2011, 08:32 PM

Automatic vs manuel??? hate too disagree but nowadays with auto vs manuel its pretty much what ever the driver wants. They have badass automatic transmission that will shift much faster than you can a manuel, and better off the starting line if you get a trans. brake. They also have plenty of auto tranny's that can handle power.
Old 03-23-2011, 09:34 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by camaro122
i have justin algiers camaro i have the insurance stuff to poove it it is a red 95 z28 and now has centerline radial t/a's 7 in front 12 in back i have an lt1 bigger cam and bigger injectors, automatic tranny with shift kit with 3.73 rear end with posi, its not crazy fast but the car will run ive had ls1 and lt1 i perfer the lt1,
And is there some reason for raising this almost 6-year old thread from the ashes?